JeffFogleboch

Axe making tool critique

Hey guys I just made a slot punch and a drift (almond shaped) in order to use the punch and drift method to forge an axe. I was wondering if you guys could critique them and tell me if you would make any changes. The slotpunch is unfinished but will look like the handled punch up top I got from GSTongs. Obviously I still have some grinding to do but I still have time! I saw this video where a guy drilled 2 holes about the length of his slot punch and then punched through normally. What is the purpose/advantage of this? Does it make it easier to keep the hole straight? Any other general tips on forging an axe in this method will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot guys. 

-Jeff F

880E527F-5A8E-439F-848A-F7F92DDA87F7.jpeg

E9485F71-F9BC-4610-AC87-A12ECB50E837.jpeg

Edited by JeffFogleboch

The purpose of drilling the holes is just to keep things tidy and easy to fit to the handle really. It's just easier to do that way.

The holes do help guide the punch, up to a point, especially using a chisel rather than a punch.  The downside is if they're not perfectly placed you get some flash or sharp fins in the eye that are a pain to remove.

Jeff: What steel are you using?