Sign in to follow this  
David Forsman

More kith questions

Im interested in participating in the 2018 kith. Would a project done exclusively in stock removal be acceptable for the kith?

I vote yes.

As I said in the other thread, there are no "standards" to meet in the KITH other than make something that fits the theme and do it to the best of your abilities. If stock removal is what you do, then do the best damn stock removal you can manage. Just my nickel's worth.

• Like 1

I also have no problems with stock removal, part of the fun is seeing different approaches to the same theme.

Thanks for your encouraging words. I plan on participating this year for sure now unless the theme ends up being something well outside my wheelhouse.

Magic theme is ahead by a long shot and by tomorrow it will be set in stone (or steel) that the magical edged blade is the 2018 KITH theme.

Stock removal has me thinking about borrowing a plasma cutter and going all out with some crazy design. What high carbon steel would you get in half inch sheets?

I think it's more of what kind of steel can I get in .500, rather than what kind.  Aldo has 5160 in .750 and .375, but no .500.  If you want .500, you may have to break down thicker stock to get it.

g

15 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

I think it's more of what kind of steel can I get in .500, rather than what kind.  Aldo has 5160 in .750 and .375, but no .500.  If you want .500, you may have to break down thicker stock to get it.

g

There has to be some kind of 4x8 sheet of high carbon steel. 

http://www.angelswords.com: "supposedly" uses s7 to CNC machine blades

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

First of all, S7 is hardly high carbon steel (it's some kind of steel like material from hell).  Second, I don't know what they start with for size.  Third, if Angel Sword told me it was raining, I'd step outside and see if I got wet.  Check out The NJ Steel Baron and see what he has.  Whatever it is, it's gonna cost ya.

Geoff

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

First of all, S7 is hardly high carbon steel (it's some kind of steel like material from hell).  Second, I don't know what they start with for size.  Third, if Angel Sword told me it was raining, I'd step outside and see if I got wet.  Check out The NJ Steel Baron and see what he has.  Whatever it is, it's gonna cost ya.

Geoff

That's why i used "" with supposedly because i dont believe anything he says but i kinda figured he was using some sort of high carbon steel. How its made had a show about CNC machined swords and they were high carbon steel. I was kinda hoping to get it at my local steel supplier or at least have them order it and that might save me some on shipping, i just want to know what to ask for.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

That's why i used "" with supposedly because i dont believe anything he says but i kinda figured he was using some sort of high carbon steel. How its made had a show about CNC machined swords and they were high carbon steel. I was kinda hoping to get it at my local steel supplier or at least have them order it and that might save me some on shipping, i just want to know what to ask for.

3 words... Foam, sword, fight. I have not forgotten. I will defend my honor! :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

There has to be some kind of 4x8 sheet of high carbon steel. 

http://www.angelswords.com: "supposedly" uses s7 to CNC machine blades

OH, NO YOU DIN'T !

19 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

OH, NO YOU DIN'T !

Oh YEAH:D

I used a cnc to mill a taper into a blade once. It worked well but I went through several sets of teeth on the shell mill. Not the cheapest method by far. Im not sure if the steel was fully annealed though.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:53 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Stock removal has me thinking about borrowing a plasma cutter and going all out with some crazy design. What high carbon steel would you get in half inch sheets?

What on earth are you thinking of making that would require a thickness of .500? A magical hammer? A magical prybar?

5 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

What on earth are you thinking of making that would require a thickness of .500? A magical hammer? A magical prybar?

Some huge spartan sword? I havent figured it out yet but if im going stock removal im going all out. But we are a bladesmiths forum so im going to keep it traditional and make a spear or dagger or seax or ???

6 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

"Lug wrench of the Demon Studebaker"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

"Lug wrench of the Demon Studebaker"

This theme is throwing me for a loop. It seams some people have a talent for thinking outside the box i just cant come up with anything. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

This theme is throwing me for a loop. It seams some people have a talent for thinking outside the box i just cant come up with anything. 

How about "the watch-fob penknife of Father Time "?

Completely OTT but do an images search on dungeons and dragons magic weapons for some inspiration 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles du Preez said:

Completely OTT but do an images search on dungeons and dragons magic weapons for some inspiration 

Stop, I can only get so excited....

Personally I think Studebakers are fairly magical...  :lol:

7 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Just pick up a book on mythology. Any mythology will do. Within the first couple of chapters you will have at least a half dozen magical items to choose from.

Or ask the great Google for a list of magical weapons in ancient lore.

• Like 1

Discworld? It's basically mediaeval Europe. Lord Ventenari's stiletto? Carrot's dirk? Damascus from DEATH'S motorcycle?

Just throwing out ideas to hopefully get the wheels turning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon Cook said:

Discworld? It's basically mediaeval Europe. Lord Ventenari's stiletto? Carrot's dirk? Damascus from DEATH'S motorcycle?

Just throwing out ideas to hopefully get the wheels turning. 

Death of Rats Scythe!

• Like 1