Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

KITH WIP- kusarigama

Thats crazy!!!

A slight design change...Buffalo horn will cap off the pommel and the guard will also be made from it....

Did I say buffalo horn? I mean the petrified blood of the uruk hai hardened by the magics of the.... We will get to that. These glyphs are uhh hard to decipher.... ;)

20180616_154134.jpg

• Like 2

This build is coming to a close...

I'm giving the blade its final temper cycle and hot blueing the pommel. Hopefully tomorrow I can get it glued and pinned. This may be one of my best works. 

Can't wait for you guys to see it!

Oh I am impressed. So many things going on and all blended together so seamlessly. I don't think there is one "category" it fits into but there aren't many it wouldn't fit into.

• Thanks 1

To carve or not to carve? That is the question. I had thought about chisling in some runes on the copper on the pommel. Maybe some kind of carving in the spoon shape of the handle. A tree would fit nicely there. A dwarf's bearded face could fit as well. Knotwork is always cool. Or should I leave it alone?

Drop the tools and come out with your hands up before you do something you'll regret. You haven't done anything that that bad yet. If you put the tools down and walk away it will all work out . This is your chance to make it easy on yourself, you don't want this to end the hard way. Think of the children. You don't want them to be scarred for life. Do the right thing. You've made your point don't do anything to diminish that. 

• Haha 2

Do what Vern says!  Every time I've touched a chisel to a knife I've regretted it.  

• Like 1

Ok.... I'm coming out now. Don't shoot!

I'll make it a sheath today after I get it put together. I have to fit the blade to the guard a little bit better before I do. 

I hope whoever gets it loves it. 

Dayummm Zeb!  I know id love it if it comes to me.  I agree with the other guys though, stay away from the carving! Lol.:D

Seeing that one makes me second guess if mine is worthy of being included.

36 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

Dayummm Zeb!  I know id love it if it comes to me.  I agree with the other guys though, stay away from the carving! Lol.:D

Seeing that one makes me second guess if mine is worthy of being included.

It was the best you could do. I saw that handle remade like 4×!

I think the point of this is not value of trade, or receiving something, but doing the best you can do and holding your work to a higher standard because its not just another knife, it's going to someone who appreciates the time and effort you put forth. It caused me to make this; something I may not have been able to do otherwise. 

I'd be happy to own yours!

• Like 1

That is looking great! I'm considering doing a tiny bit of carving on my handle. It is a take-apart anyways so I can replace it if I mess up.

• Thanks 1

WOW!!!!!!!

On 6/15/2018 at 5:32 PM, Zeb Camper said:

More work done today! It looks like I over slotted the pommel in the pic, but it's an illusion. A mishap with the drilling thats very shallow. It's very snug. I made a punch shaped identical to the tang to fit it. I'll just keep working on making the second pommel piece and tidying up the circular part. 

20180615_185623.jpg

Soooooooooooooo friggin kewl. Makes me feel like I am still in blade kindergarten =)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, Kreg said:

Soooooooooooooo friggin kewl. Makes me feel like I am still in blade kindergarten =)

Thanks lol!

Don't put yourself in a bracket. You can do great things Kreg! Just be persistent. 

My ambition for this craft is just blind to my youthful ignorance. This "hol' mu beer n' whach es" attitude results in the occasional satisfactory result amongst all the glorious failures. Better to shoot for the stars and miss, then aim for... You know ;)

I wish more people would've participated this year. Such a cool theme. 

13 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Thanks guys!

Thanks lol!

Don't put yourself in a bracket. You can do great things Kreg! Just be persistent. 

My ambition for this craft is just blind to my youthful ignorance. This "hol' mu beer n' whach es" attitude results in the occasional satisfactory result amongst all the glorious failures. Better to shoot for the stars and miss, then aim for... You know ;)

I wish more people would've participated this year. Such a cool theme. 

I dont think I am quit worthy yet......hopefully next year. I am having fun with it. Not much of a sit in front of a tv guy. Your blade is bad azz.

And here it is in it’s new home. Orcs and goblins beware...

568F4D38-754F-4B0A-B831-AE08A0E0DF24.jpeg47691056-A9AF-4BDF-BDC8-061A463A93B4.jpeg

The blade is thick at the spine and wide but the balance is so good you don’t notice the weight at all. It is very agile and comfortable in the hand. The sheath design definitely makes it look from ‘elsewhere’. All round superb job @Zeb Camper. Thank you very much.

No problem Charles! Take care of my baby! 

I hope the handle is big enough. You've got beefier hands than me. 

I will do. No problem. It is really comfy.