Eric Morgan

KITH WIP Thread

While I am still torn between two ideas for my submission, I went ahead this morning and ordered some materials. I’ll be posting up some sketch ideas and hopefully get some feedback from you guys on them...

I am planning to really push myself on this build, no matter which direction I decide to take it. Anyway, wish me luck guys 

Good fortune to you on this adventure and all those that come from it.

• Like 1

So, I believe I have settled on the ‘lore’ of the blade I am making. Feel free to let me know if this doesn’t fit the general theme of the KITH this year.

The son of a Palatine immigrant inherited from his father determination, a keenness of both mind and eye, and his tall frame. And what remained of a family heirloom, such as it was; a broken hunting sword. 

From his youth, the warrior-who-would-be recognized something intangible in the failed blade. In spite of its flaws there remained a feeling of movement, of grace, and a terrible deadliness. A Huron war party caught his father alone in the mountains while hunting, leaving him stripped, scalped, and mutilated. They took his game, rifle, and possibles bag. The broken sword was left, presumably deemed to be of little use. 

The boy who would be known only Death-Comes-With-Him became a man somewhere between the finding of his father and the burying of the same. He befriended the blacksmith in the settlements, seemingly forsaking his broken past, applying himself to learn a trade. But his father’s sword was ever on his mind, as were those responsible for his death.

It’s kind of a mix of truth and fiction of my own. I grew up reading books like Zane Grey’s Spirit of the Border about men like Lewis Wetzel and other Indian fighters/long hunters. 

Dont wanna ‘spoil’ my lore, but the reforged blade looks like it may end up being a venerated object with ‘big medicine’

Ever a swift learner, the boy soon mastered the rudiments of the blacksmiths trade. The rise and fall of the hammer, the movement of the steel under it, and the way the steel seemed to live and breathe became the backdrop for the boy’s life. He spent his days forging nails, tapers for hooks, even fitting the odd horseshoe. 

In time he helped the blacksmith with a few smaller blades, learning what he could of the process. In the late evenings, he began carefully working on his father’s sword. After disassembling it, with an intense focus he removed material affected by the crack. Then, he carefully upset the ground-back edge onto the thicker section of the blade. 

He then set about reshaping what was now roughly a flat bar of steel with a tang back into a knife, shaped according to the standard profile of the day on the frontier. Satisfied with his work, he began working on smoothing out the forging marks, filing and smoothing out his work. Satisfied finally he began heating the steel, readying himself for the uncertainty of the quench.

Edited by Eric Morgan

Okay, but did the boy take any photos of his progress? ;)

• Like 1

:lol:, we're going to need some photographic documentation to back it up... Even though this story was told omnipotently in third person perspective by the "nerduel" uh, sorry "narrator". The cameras on cell phones where complete garbage back then, (Just look at all the bigfoot photos from that era) so the knife may look blurry in nature, but we'll all know it really just walks with big long strides. 

• Like 1

As soon as it isn’t either a monsoon of biblical proportions or a cold snap of Day After Tomorrow proportions, I’ll get some pics. Promise guys. I did get the steel in the other day for whatever that’s worth

Not really a progress update, but I have acquired a new (to me) anvil! My father was telling one of his friends about me making knives and dabbling in blacksmithing, and he asked him what I was using for an anvil. Turns out, his grandfather had a blacksmith shop on his farm, and he gave me the anvil!

Alas, the vise, forge, and most of the hammers and top tools, etc had been sold by my dads friend’s sister. Anyway, here are some pics of the new and my old anvil. I just have to make a stand for the new anvil now.

42AA637A-2700-41EC-87C5-AE76BA4520F8.jpeg

53C8EEAB-58A5-4962-B2CD-C5A37AC1391C.jpeg

837D4AFF-BCB0-4444-8FFB-B0BFF181DAF0.jpeg

C48182E7-82A6-4419-8CDB-FCD7C374C0C5.jpeg

Nice my anvil was given to me also. Mine is a Vulcan:(but it is like brand new. Vulcan have a bad reputation and was a budget anvil but it has good rebound and the edges are like new. That anvil there is excellent.  And the anvil you were esjng isn't bad either. It appears to be a Peter Wright.

• Like 1

Man the more I look at it I gotta say that is a REALLY NICE anvil!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Jeremy! Rebound is around 75-80% with a ball bearing, near as I can tell. 

I posted pics onto an anvil group on Facebook and they were saying they thought it might be a Swedish anvil, maybe Soderfors. All I know is it has pretty clean edges, and just needs a wire brushing and some hot steel hammered on her