IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×

Hi

I have a little ingot of Zink (Super High Grade), farewell gift from a mine where I worked.

Had the idea of making a guards from it.......?

I have no idea what it would be like to work, is it safe, is it strong enough?

No and no.  Pure zinc is pretty fragile and soft.  Alloyed with aluminum and magnesium it gets much stronger and that alloy goes by the name of Zamak, commonly known as pot metal or white metal in the US.  It's what all the chrome stuff on cars except the bumpers were made from before plastic took over, and what most die-cast machine parts are still.

Zinc fumes are the cause of metal fume fever, which can range from mild to deadly, but is never pleasant.  That's why we tell people to be careful melting brass and to never ever weld or forge galvanized steel.

At room temperature zinc is harmless, but it will develop a crusty coat of white oxide over time, sometimes with deep pitting.  A useful metal for many things, but casting guards is not one of them as far as I am concerned.

16 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Zinc fumes are the cause of metal fume fever, which can range from mild to deadly, but is never pleasant.  That's why we tell people to be careful melting brass and to never ever weld or forge galvanized steel.

Hi Alan

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I honestly never knew this before joining this forum, at the time of working at these mines I was more worried about cyanide used in the processes, but the one mine had a cast house, and that's where the ingot is from.

I was actually considering cold working it, but it's a souvenir so I never checked to see what the metal is like.

I get upset when I even see the word "galvanized".......but that's another story :lol:

Cheers

Gerhard