IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Wesley Alberson

A Couple Wedge Tenon Knives Available, Drop Point and Trailing Point

If you are unfamiliar with the wedge tenon design, here is a record of its development: 

A multi-purpose drop point knife with a leather sheath and a unique wedged tenon joint on the end of the handle that allows the knife to be taken apart.

The blade is made of 1084 steel, with a diamond cross section. The handle is made of walnut and padauk, with a forged stainless steel guard and butt plate. The forge finish has been kept on the spine of the blade, as well as the bolster and butt plate. The wedge is made of 5160 steel that has been spring tempered for maximum toughness. It comes with a decorated leather sheath that can be worn on either side, making it ambidextrous. 

The wedged tenon design is a combination of the traditional Japanese take-apart design which uses a bamboo peg to retain the blade in the handle, and an architectural tenon joint. The butt plate has an angled groove that the wedge fits in. The wedge is tapped in with a hammer, which presses the butt plate against the handle (or pulls the blade against the guard, depending on relativity). The friction and pressure holds the handle and fittings completely solid, and keeps the wedge from backing out unless direct force is applied with a hammer and punch. It is useful to be able to take apart a knife for cleaning, repairs, and even major refinishing of the knife. The excellent condition of Japanese blades that are hundreds of years old is due in part to the ability to take the blades apart. 

Specifications:

7.5" edge
12 3/4" overall length
~1/4" thick blade (distal taper)

I am asking $400 plus shipping. $10 for domestic shipping and $20 for international shipping.

L3daCnB.jpglhwgywR.jpg6nslda6.jpgOlQLoPt.jpguCLAXl7.jpgjKqcN1k.jpg5kAhodH.jpg

A multi-purpose trailing point knife with a leather sheath and a unique wedged tenon joint on the end of the handle that allows the knife to be taken apart.

The blade is made of 1084 steel, with a diamond cross section. The handle is made of walnut and zircote, with a forged stainless steel guard and butt plate. The forge finish has been kept on the spine of the blade, as well as the bolster and butt plate. The wedge is made of 5160 steel that has been spring tempered for maximum toughness. It comes with a decorated leather sheath that can be worn on either side, making it ambidextrous. 

The wedged tenon design is a combination of the traditional Japanese take-apart design which uses a bamboo peg to retain the blade in the handle, and an architectural tenon joint. The butt plate has an angled groove that the wedge fits in. The wedge is tapped in with a hammer, which presses the butt plate against the handle (or pulls the blade against the guard, depending on relativity). The friction and pressure holds the handle and fittings completely solid, and keeps the wedge from backing out unless direct force is applied with a hammer and punch. It is useful to be able to take apart a knife for cleaning, repairs, and even major refinishing of the knife. The excellent condition of Japanese blades that are hundreds of years old is due in part to the ability to take the blades apart. 

Specifications:

7" edge
12" overall
~1/4" thick blade (distal taper)

I am asking $400 plus shipping. $10 for domestic shipping and $20 for international shipping.

U8wXp1c.jpgi0ouzv3.jpgqGlaNRx.jpg6tUMWgb.jpgPRRHr1m.jpgg0ULP8f.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

These are beautiful! Good luck on the sale! 

Thanks Zeb!

Dandy lookin blades.......B)

Really cool! I can’t imagine the time it takes to get the precision fit for this design. Btw, did you make the red wood for the handle or where did you get it? I have not seen that vibrant of color in the wood selections for scales. It really stands out. I have used the “Purple Heart” scales and they are pretty cool color, but they don’t pop like that red. I also love the shape of that second blade. Exceptional work

Thanks! The wood is padauk, it is nice stuff, but it can be prone to splitting if the tang fit is too tight. The fit up can be tricky at times. I need to make the handle, drill and file the tang hole, then grind, fit, and heat treat the pin. All of the stainless fittings have been hot punched and drifted onto the tang.

• Like 1