• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

Very simple beginners forge!!!

12 minutes ago, Ross Vosloo said:

same boat as you, but isnt LPG just propane anyway?

"Liquefied petroleum gas or liquid petroleum gas (LPG or LP gas), also referred to as simply propane or butane, are flammable mixtures of hydrocarbon gases used as fuel in heating appliances, cooking equipment, and vehicles." thats pulled straight from wiki. 

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

I paid a visit to a local blacksmith a while ago, he showed me a gas forge he'd built and told me the big issue was jet size, he never could get it to run properly.  He's a young German, and looking at his shop I was not about to argue.......this is Windhoek and I'm not surprised by stuff being unavailable.....

Neels van den Berg builds them very successfully in SA, uses 9Kg gas bottles and the burners look identical to the general recipe you see out there.......assume they have their choice of jets in Joburg! :lol:

I was planning on ordering one of those in March, if finances allows, but if I can DIY that should save me about N$3000........not about to chop mine up, just waiting for prices from my favourite outdoor shop.

As far as I know lpg is basically propane, only a bit less pure and refined. I find that it burns a bit less hot than the propane from the tanks.

I run a venturi forge and all sizes of handheld torches designed for propane off an lpg tank with no issues except a bit less heat.

38 minutes ago, pieter-pauld said:

As far as I know lpg is basically propane, only a bit less pure and refined. I find that it burns a bit less hot than the propane from the tanks.

I run a venturi forge and all sizes of handheld torches designed for propane off an lpg tank with no issues except a bit less heat.

so just give it more?

Well I'm sold, going to go look for an adjustable regulator today, and waiting for a price on burners similar to mine.

I'm guessing there's a thread on DIY forge troubleshooting around here somewhere? :P

So i just got these.......way more than I planned on spending but I was incorrectly quoted for the regulator, and this burner is more adjustable......testing after work!

20180116_132439.jpg

20180116_132428.jpg

Yes, LPG is what we usually get as well, we just refer to it as propane.  As long as there is no blower on the burner it's a venturi.  The ones with the larger bell-shaped end are what I'm used to seeing, but that twin-nozzle thing may work well.  

36 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

So i just got these.......way more than I planned on spending but I was incorrectly quoted for the regulator, and this burner is more adjustable......testing after work!

20180116_132439.jpg

20180116_132428.jpg

That looks like it would work great and its a double burner. I cant wait to see this burner work.

6 hours ago, Ross Vosloo said:

ok great thanks. how can you tell its a venturi? sorry for the dumb questions, but like Gerhard above, i live in a part of the world where you have to find something bc you cant buy it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Like alan said if it dose not have a blower then its a venturi. Basically if it pulls the air in without a source like a blower. Its also referred as naturally aspirated.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Like alan said if it dose not have a blower then its a venturi. Basically if it pulls the air in without a source like a blower. Its also referred as naturally aspirated.

naturally aspirated, now you speaking my language... i come from the car building world 

• Like 1

Hi Ross

If I understand correctly a carburetor is basically a venturi.

The way I understand it the gas/fuel being blown into this narrowing tube causes suction......that's where it adds oxygen to the mix. 

I'm not sure who pinned this but thank you!!!

I went to my buddy's shop who rebuilds alternators and starters and also recharges AC units in cars and coolers for the local stores so he has a huge stockpile of Freon bottles and he is going to give me a few to make some mini forges and I'm trying to win this other fryer on the online auction and I'm going make a double burner mini forge and see if it's capable  of welding.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:10 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

I'm not sure who pinned this but thank you!!!

I went to my buddy's shop who rebuilds alternators and starters and also recharges AC units in cars and coolers for the local stores so he has a huge stockpile of Freon bottles and he is going to give me a few to make some mini forges and I'm trying to win this other fryer on the online auction and I'm going make a double burner mini forge and see if it's capable  of welding.

is the single burner type not  able to get up to welding heats?

1 hour ago, Ross Vosloo said:

is the single burner type not  able to get up to welding heats?

I'm not sure yet I was just going to build a 2 burner for the fun of it but I can experiment with the single and see what it can do.

I will stop in to my buddy's shop in the morning and see if he brought the Freon bottles and I will put one together. I don't have the refractory to do the skim coat on the wool but I can get it put together and do some testing.

So, you are going to run it as a sort of "circular ribbon burner" ?

11 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

So, you are going to run it as a sort of "circular ribbon burner" ?

The end is cut off and he is using is like a double burner only side by side instead of having a gap between them.

Well, this idea is the one that pushed me from lurker status to going ahead and registering. 

I am putting together the parts to make one of these.  My question is whether the top rear is the best placement for the burner to go in?  I am a little leery about all the fire belching out the front of the forge in operation.  I was thinking about drilling my hole for the burner about a quarter of the way from the front on the side, with the flame directed toward the top of the other side and toward the rear of the forge.  Is this a good idea?  Or should I just do it the way he did?

Anyway, great idea!

thanks

Finn

• Like 1

I have thought about other ways to do this also. Another thing i did yesterday was forge a flare in a pipe and drilled a bigger hole and now have that attached to the forge so it makes a longer stack and gets the hose a little further away from the heat. I will post a picture when i get some more charge to the phone. It wont open the camera on low battery!:wacko:

What is really hauling back on my brain chain is that you have apparently crossed that gossamer curtain between the DIY venturi and blown worlds, to wit:

"Blown burner" = open simple end on burner. Little tuning. Blower/electricity needed.

"Venturi burner" = no blower needed but more complicated burner tip. More tuning may be needed.

"THIS design" = Simple open end on burner tube. Little tuning. No blower.

Wow! It's a little bit country and a little bit rock &roll. It's dogs & cats living together. It's forged stock removal. 

• Like 1

After running this for more than ten minutes at a time i forged a draw knife today out of a file using this forge and i would highly recommend making the flare because of the extreme heat!!! But this forge had absolutely no problems running for almost an hour and there was no frost on the tank of the 20lb cylinder. I will get some better pictures of the flare and some pictures of the draw knife i made using the forge. 

I did edit the original post and added the flare into it so anyone building this should include into the plans.

Also i will figure out what size pipe i used for the flare but DO NOT use galvanized pipe.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

20 hours ago, Finn Hill said:

Well, this idea is the one that pushed me from lurker status to going ahead and registering.

Welcome aboard!!!