To nobody second,
I'm certainly reckoned
A true philanthropist.
It is my very humane endeavour
To make, to some extent,
Each evil liver
A running river
Of harmless merriment.

I would supply the kaowool for the underpants. :P do we line the outsides with castable refractory to hold the fibers in? On a serious note though the first forge I made with the hard brick should have been soft brick but the burner works extremely well especially when combined with a good chamber.

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Indeed.  If I could find the person who spread the idea that sand and plaster make a good refractory I'd make him wear kaowool underpants...  if I had my way, that is.  Getting plaster that hot just turns it back to gypsum powder.  The sand, if it melts, helps hold that together.  It can work for an emergency or single-use forge, but if you want to do more than flatten a few bolts actual refractory materials are required.  And not expensive.  Just hard to find if you only go to big box stores.  

No argument here it’s not the idea material. I was just starting to make blades that was material that I had and didn’t even know if it would work, as well if i could even make a blade. Live and learn brother. I’ve only been making blades a couple years now yup still a newbie with lots to learn. 

14 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Indeed.  If I could find the person who spread the idea that sand and plaster make a good refractory I'd make him wear kaowool underpants...  if I had my way, that is.  Getting plaster that hot just turns it back to gypsum powder.  

I suspected all along that would be the case, but it's so widely recommended that I used it to create a taper at the bottom of my charcoal forge.

First time I scratched the coals a bit I saw it was coming off in pieces.