• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
deker

A heavy day forging....

So, I have a really large pattern welding contract coming up, and I'm working on the final prototype pieces. This set a new record for me today, so I figured sharing would be as good as excuse as any to return to one of the forums that I've neglected for way too long. :)

I can't say what the end product is yet, but trust me, as soon as I can, I will.

Today's work was a billet of 1045/1075/15n20. Just a wee tiny thing, it started at 2"x4-3/4"x10" (about 30lbs). This is to date the largest billet I've ever done, and provided that everything works out, I'll only have to do somewhere between 25 and 50 more of them! 

20180112_130132.jpg

After the first weld/draw it was down to 3"x1-1/2"x~21" usable

20180112_142416.jpg

That was cut, ground, and re-stacked by 3 for 75 layers and drawn to 2-1/4"x2-3/4"x~13" usable

20180112_173649.jpg

Tomorrow I'll cut, grind, and re-stack this by 2 once more for 150 layers. Then, it will get drawn to 2-1/2" square and get the living bejeezus twisted out of it on the twisting machine I finished building not long ago, dubbed "Screwcifer". Here's a little video of the first "real" test twisting a 2" square billet.

screwcifer_first_twist_2_inch.lrv

I'm gonna go find some Advil.... :)

• Like 1

25 to 50 billets you say? Well, I know what you are doing for the next month or so.  Are all of the billets going to be the same pattern?

:o Twisting a 2 1/2"  square?  WOW!  You must have some serious muscle running your twisting rig.  :D I think that I'll  stick with my little hand twisting set-up  that will handle  1/2"x1/2" very nicely.

You must have a way of  keeping the ends of your billet cool to  twist something that  large.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

5 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

25 to 50 billets you say? Well, I know what you are doing for the next month or so.  Are all of the billets going to be the same pattern?

This size is half of the contract, I've got another that finishes to ~15lbs ea that I need to do 50 of as well. In all reality, it will be 6-12 months of work. One piece is random, the other is a twist (but I'm randoming the stock some before twisting to make it a little more interesting).

5 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

:o Twisting a 2 1/2"  square?  WOW!  You must have some serious muscle running your twisting rig.  :D I think that I'll  stick with my little hand twisting set-up  that will handle  1/2"x1/2" very nicely.You must have a way of  keeping the ends of your billet cool to  twist something that  large.

The motivation behind Screwcifer is a 2HP motor spinning a large triple reduction gear reducer. It's built to twist up to 3" square and still have a reasonable safety margin. So far I haven't worried about cooling the ends, though I may with this billet since I may take the ends to 2" square to save a little on waste and keep me from having to build another set of dies right now. It depends a bit on what bits of steel I find around the shop tomorrow that I can hack a tailstock die together from.

Here's a video of the second twist I did with it. First was 1" square, this was 2".

Edited by deker
  • Like 3

there's a hypnotic factor to viewing that rig in action! Great idea.

Thanks folks! I'll hopefully have more more video of 2-1/2" square being twisted at a slightly increased speed soon.

Edited by deker

thats interesting. makes me wonder what my hydraulic rig would do?

2 hours ago, owen bush said:

thats interesting. makes me wonder what my hydraulic rig would do?

Owen,

The press is around 45ton and it seems to handle it fine. Or did you mean a twisting rig?

Edited by deker

Ok, so I didn't get more video. I got on a roll and the GoPro wasn't in the shop. It got drawn to 2-1/4" square, then the section to be twisted was octagoned, and into Screwcifer it went!

20180113_143141.jpg

Drawn out to ~1.75"x1.625"x23"

20180113_150147.jpg

The untwisted ends were trimmed, and onto the surface grinder to get cleaned up. Came out to 1.695"x1.365"x19". Customer spec was for 1.5"x1.25"x16", but they're fine rough machining it down.20180114_120152.jpg

And a bit of a closeup. The 3 colors of steel in this one are going to make it look really nice. Also, once the customer's final machining is done, it will be a good bit more narrow, so there should be a good bit more of the fun bits on the inside.

20180114_120024.jpg

The other size needed for this order is a slab 1"x5"x10.5". Here's a picture of the matching slab to go with this bar. It gives a better idea of the color contrast this steel mix gives. Ignore the big funky looking smudge across this billet, that's just a remnant from where I used paracord to hang it in the etching tank. (Note: This picture was taken with a flash, but it shows the color contrast much better)

20180103_174637.jpg

Edited by deker
  • Like 1