Bar Stock Dimensions

I am getting into the business of knife-making supply, and I am starting to source metal for blade-making.  Obviously I don't want to order a bunch of sizes that nobody wants.  Can those of you who make knives please answer this question for me:  If you could only get bar stock in one size, what size would that be?  What would be the most useful size of bar, assuming that one size is all you could get?  What would be your second choice?  Third choice?

Thank you for your input!

One size for forging and stock-removal ?

Not gonna happen.

A lot also depends on the flavor of steel itself. In some cases I would make a given style, stock removal, from 3/16 in one steel and 1/8 in a tougher steel. 

Forging I would like to be able to buy the tougher steels closer to dimension, thinner and wider, than I would like to buy easier to work steels in, which would be more versatile in thicker sections.

Rather like asking "so, you are a mathematician, how many numbers do you need?"

What Vern said.

Maybe 3 different sizes for each steel would be a good start.

1/4"x 1" for forging

3/16'x1.5" for both forging and stock removal

1/8"x 2" for kitchen knives and small hunters/EDC stock removal

Edited by Joël Mercier

Looking at what Joel said I would prefer 1/8 in 1.5" because my stock-removal "EDCs"  tend to be narrower.

That just goes to show you, " ask ten 'smiths a question and you'll get twelve answers."

1 hour ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Looking at what Joel said I would prefer 1/8 in 1.5" because my stock-removal "EDCs"  tend to be narrower.

That just goes to show you, " ask ten 'smiths a question and you'll get twelve answers."

That's why 2" is nice. You can cut two 1" blanks. 

Here's another opinion for ya... I like 3/8× 2" flat bar for forging large blades (like bowies). I also forge smaller blades from it. Seems to be a very versital size. You can forge thinner, but it's harder to add back. You could probably make a decent size axe out of that size too. I buy it in 4' lengths so I can have a built in handle for a couple blades. 

Now you have to take into account damasscus maker's needs. Then there is the stock removal guys. I think 1/8×1" flatbar would fit the bill for both those crowds. 1/8×2" might be better for the stock removal guys. 15n20 Is probably a good option to appease the pattern welders. 

Edited by Zeb Camper
spelin
7 hours ago, Dan C said:

I am getting into the business of knife-making supply, and I am starting to source metal for blade-making.  Obviously I don't want to order a bunch of sizes that nobody wants.  Can those of you who make knives please answer this question for me:  If you could only get bar stock in one size, what size would that be?  What would be the most useful size of bar, assuming that one size is all you could get?  What would be your second choice?  Third choice?

Thank you for your input!

I'll play along.  Zeb has the right idea for me.  I would take bigger stock rather than smaller.  i can break down smaller stock by forging and if I am doing stock removal, I can always cut away what I don't need.  I wouldn't go Zeb's full 2", but I would do 1.5" by 1/4" by 4'.  

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

Now that I have some bigger tools (hammer and press) I can handle wider stock, but when I was doing everything by hand, 2 inch was a chore to work, particularly when drawing points.  Mostly I work in 1.25 or 1.50.

Geoff

• Like 1

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

I'm sorry, I just checked my steel. I have 1.5" and 2" I made a sword out of the 2" and planned on making another huge bowie, and use the 1.5 for knives. 

2" is way too big for normal knife stuff now that I think about it. 

Gentlemen, I sincerely appreciate your help and advice.  I will be diversifying my stock as my business grows, so hopefully I will be able to accommodate everyone.  i just wanted some ideas on where I could start.

Thanks for taking time to help a brother out with your input!