Bringing back an oldish thread, but I have had the opportunity to do some more work on this knife. It's already for heat treat, gonna clay it for the differential hardness. It's size is 7.5" blade by 1.375" width and about 1/8" thickness with a distal taper.

Let me know what you think please!

IMG_20180325_170049.jpg

• Like 3

That is going to be a very fast and light blade. I like the shape and the sizes, especially that long shallow clip. It may be a little on the thin side, but go for it.  Good work sticking with it. 

It has come a long way from the original design drawing. Are you and the client happy with it?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question on tempering the knife. At what temperature should I be tempering this at in the oven? 375-400 range? It's 1084 and because it's longer, I want it to be tougher, so closer to 400 was what I was thinking. However, I am claying it for the first time, so I don't know if it's ok to be a little lower to keep a harder edge.

Claying the spine to get a differential hardness before tempering shouldn't really affect the way you think about your edge. No matter what, you are trying to be in the "Goldilocks Zone"  not so soft the cutting edge bends, not so hard that it chips.

Not knowing what type of cutting edge you are putting on I'd suggest tempering at 375 then doing the brass rod flex test. If it bends and sets it probably didn't get fully hardened. If it chips give it another temper at 400 and resharpen and test again.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've gotten it heat treated finally and tempered it at 400F for two, 1 hour cycles. Seemed to come out fine, but I haven't done the brass test because I ran out of time again. 

I also have the guard all welded together with 3 layers of 1084 and double layers of 15n20 in between. This was then folded once with a piece of file in the middle for a final total of 11 layers. Then twisted and smashed down to this size of 2.5"x3/8"x3/4". Personally, I think it needs to be wider  and maybe a little thinner. I'm going to have to do it anyway so that I can get rid of the remaining twist marks. What size do you guys think I should go to, thickness and width? 

IMG_20180422_124242.jpg

IMG_20180422_123706.jpg

IMG_20180422_105513.jpg

IMG_20180422_123528.jpg

IMG_20180422_123308.jpg

The thickness and width is going to pivot on what type of guard you intend and how it mates up to the handle material. 

I think you are doing great and that guard material yo made is fantastic. As someone else said "that is going to be a fast blade". With that guard material it could end up balanced right at the guard which would be great. I'd try to maximize that feature with a ergonomic, physically unobtrusive single eared guard, mated well to the handle. Don't let that gorgeous guard material "take over" the overall great design. It will flow together nicely if everything is in proper proportion.

When you say an ergonomical, physically unobtrusive guard, I'm picturing a simple elliptical shape with one end fatter than the other. And with it being flat and maybe some nice curvature underneath where the finger is. Is that what you're picturing too? 

Edited by Mike Ward
Typos