Salem Straub

"Sovereign" Dagger.

My latest... I tried a lot of new stuff on it, which mostly worked out.  I tried hard to minimize struggling edges...
15" dagger, midrib blade in Zanjir multibar pattern weld with turkish cores and explosion edges. Ball guard and wheel pommel in low layer pattern weld. Grip in "cage of bars" style with twisted pattern bars over leather wrapped walnut core, based an ancient hand and a half sword of Oakshotte XV typology. 
Through-tang peened construction with two-piece ferrules and peen block of parkerized iron. 21.5" overall, 1 lb. 8 oz. in weight.

Pics and a vid... hope you like!

f5btVOA.jpg

KAgH56T.jpg

Zz3uuL0.jpg

rAWhDME.jpg

uL813Dh.jpg

txw32dS.jpg

anriGAN.jpg

yhmh7hs.jpg

2oxkygF.jpg

iBvfep7.jpg

Rv9T2OX.jpg

cnMdHbK.jpg

IfkIWrM.jpg

UskewKa.jpg

ERzozHd.jpg

PJLTsCB.jpg

pk7vRGa.jpg
Edited by Salem Straub
  • Like 11

What are the furrells made of? It might be in your video. I'll have to watch after work. Love it! 

Holy moley!  Most impressive!

You cranked that out while rebuilding the power hammer?!?  You, sir, deserve a hearty "You suck!" ;)

Watched your progress with this on Instagram. Ridiculous.

The whole thing looks amazing, but especially the rose roll guard. 

Truly outstanding.  There is no part of it that isn't amazing.

Doug

Holy Crap, man!  :blink::ph34r::blink:  Most awesome!

already commented on Instagram but again WOW  totally impressed with  all the details coming together on this with such a astounding blade at the core. Way to go man.

Absolutely epic as always Salem. Love the pommel!

I had to pick my jaw up off the floor when i seen this. Incredible!!!

I don’t think I’ve ever used the word “exquisite”, but now is a good time to start!

Everything on this piece is so interesting, from the ridge in the blade to the rose damascus pommel. But I keep coming back to that handle, the cage bars are so cool. I look at this whole knife and start going over "how'd he do that". Great dagger Salem, Thanks for sharing. 

All hail to the Damascus artist extraordinaire !!!!........Seriously dude....B) 

A truly inspirational piece. Amazing work.

Absolutely gorgeous!  You knocked that one out of the park!

Been giving this the stankeye on Instagram for a while, and it was totally worth it.  I have yet to be completely impressed with the things you make Salem. This is an amazing piece of art.  It gets overused, but your work is quite inspirational.  

24 minutes ago, Wes Detrick said:

I have yet to be completely impressed with the things you make Salem. 

You meant "yet to Not be" right? :lol:

I saw this before work this morning and thought about it all day. I got home just a little bit ago and watched the video twice.... Damn it's a nice blade! 

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I saw this before work this morning and thought about it all day. I got home just a little bit ago and watched the video twice.... Damn it's a nice blade! 

I would also enjoy it if he meant it how it sounds... cause dang it I'm not completely impressed with what I make either!  Heck I guess if I ever completely impressed myself I'd have to quit, there'd be nothing left to do!  The fact that there's dudes to try to catch up to always pulls me on, plus this stuff is just fascinating on it's own merits...
Thanks for the comments guys, it's very encouraging to a hermit like me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

HA!  Damn it, lack of proof reading strikes again.  Glad you caught that Zeb.

17 minutes ago, Salem Straub said:

I would also enjoy it if he meant it how it sounds... cause dang it I'm not completely impressed with what I make either!  Heck I guess if I ever completely impressed myself I'd have to quit, there'd be nothing left to do!  The fact that there's dudes to try to catch up to always pulls me on, plus this stuff is just fascinating on it's own merits...
Thanks for the comments guys, it's very encouraging to a hermit like me!

Sorry to disappoint Salem, but I meant it as Zeb said it; "I have yet to NOT be completely impressed". :)   But I get what you are saying.   You are one of those dudes to try catch up to for some of us.  

21 minutes ago, Wes Detrick said:

You are one of those dudes to try catch up to for some of us.  

Indeed! 

This probably is my favourite piece of damascus that i have ever seen.

Most of the daggers where all parts are made of damascus seem to be very busy and distract from the knifes form in my mind, with this piece, even when there are a lot of different complex patterns it all seems to tie in with the daggers shape and work together.

Wow Salem. What a beaut. 

There is a story about a jazz pianist who went to see Art Tatum play.  When he got home he told his wife he was going to sell his piano because now he knew he would never be the best.  This kind of makes me feel that way.

Finn

Edited by Finn Hill