Jump to content
Salem Straub

"Sovereign" Dagger.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Finn Hill said:

There is a story about a jazz pianist who went to see Art Tatum play.  When he got home he told his wife he was going to sell his piano because now he knew he would never be the best.  This kind of makes me feel that way.

Finn

I try to resist that, although I know exactly the feeling... I'm sure when Art Tatum was coming up, guys he looked up to seemed untouchable too.  You just have to keep moving forward, the best in the world at things are often those with strong drive rather than sheer raw talent.  Having both would be nice though!  That's what keeps me moving, when I see stuff by Sfreddo, Roger Bergh, Vero Laurent, JL Regel...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude!

Yeah, I can't come up with anything coherent to say....

Dude!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta ask.....how many hour do you have into this knife?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Salem Straub said:

I try to resist that, although I know exactly the feeling... I'm sure when Art Tatum was coming up, guys he looked up to seemed untouchable too.  You just have to keep moving forward, the best in the world at things are often those with strong drive rather than sheer raw talent.  Having both would be nice though!  That's what keeps me moving, when I see stuff by Sfreddo, Roger Bergh, Vero Laurent, JL Regel...

It is funny you should say that about hard work.  I few years ago, i read an article on NPR about how many Asian cultures do not praise intelligence in its children but hard work and perseverance.  And so the kids grow up knowing that struggling for the answer and struggling to get better is natural.  I think its easy to look at people that are better than we are, and only see how great they are, and easily forget the toil that they went through to get there.  It is always a nice reminder to hear that everyone struggles.

For anyone interested, I managed to find the article.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Wes Detrick said:

It is funny you should say that about hard work.  I few years ago, i read an article on NPR about how many Asian cultures do not praise intelligence in its children but hard work and perseverance.  And so the kids grow up knowing that struggling for the answer and struggling to get better is natural.  I think its easy to look at people that are better than we are, and only see how great they are, and easily forget the toil that they went through to get there.  It is always a nice reminder to hear that everyone struggles.

For anyone interested, I managed to find the article.

This is definitely a thing. I know a lot of highly intelligent people who ended up struggling after high school/college because they'd never been truly challenged enough to develop effective responses to failure.

This is why I'm careful to let my kids see me fail, regroup, and try again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed every single step of this build. Once again, you step up from your own best. I take my hat off and salute you. My words cannot make justice so I will just bow my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, really,  impressive on all levels. Followed the build on FB.

Four things stand out to me on this build as  pure "show off" level bad ass bladesmithery (meant in a good way).

1: The crazy loopy pattern (forget the name) on the bar just inside the edge bar. That's some next-level pattern welding. 

2: The mid ridge. That's a lot of precision work. Makes my shoulders ache just thinking about doing one.

3: The pommel: Jelly-roll, shmelly-roll . . . that crazy wavy W's version is just pure "hold my beer and watch this" PW.

4: Those tiny PW rods in the grip. It's just a decadent addition. Like adding bacon bits on top of an bacon omelet, smothered with cheese, with a side of bacon, and a bloody mary with a deep-fried stick of bacon in it.  Like, hell yeah I just did that, but wait . . . yeah, I did that too.

Grins,

Dave

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dave Stephens said:

Really, really,  impressive on all levels. Followed the build on FB.

Four things stand out to me on this build as  pure "show off" level bad ass bladesmithery (meant in a good way).

1: The crazy loopy pattern (forget the name) on the bar just inside the edge bar. That's some next-level pattern welding. 

2: The mid ridge. That's a lot of precision work. Makes my shoulders ache just thinking about doing one.

3: The pommel: Jelly-roll, shmelly-roll . . . that crazy wavy W's version is just pure "hold my beer and watch this" PW.

4: Those tiny PW rods in the grip. It's just a decadent addition. Like adding bacon bits on top of an bacon omelet, smothered with cheese, with a side of bacon, and a bloody mary with a deep-fried stick of bacon in it.  Like, hell yeah I just did that, but wait . . . yeah, I did that too.

Grins,

Dave

 

Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dave Stephens said:

Really, really,  impressive on all levels. Followed the build on FB.

Four things stand out to me on this build as  pure "show off" level bad ass bladesmithery (meant in a good way).

1: The crazy loopy pattern (forget the name) on the bar just inside the edge bar. That's some next-level pattern welding. 

2: The mid ridge. That's a lot of precision work. Makes my shoulders ache just thinking about doing one.

3: The pommel: Jelly-roll, shmelly-roll . . . that crazy wavy W's version is just pure "hold my beer and watch this" PW.

4: Those tiny PW rods in the grip. It's just a decadent addition. Like adding bacon bits on top of an bacon omelet, smothered with cheese, with a side of bacon, and a bloody mary with a deep-fried stick of bacon in it.  Like, hell yeah I just did that, but wait . . . yeah, I did that too.

Grins,

Dave

 

Yes! All that! I second all that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

Really, really,  impressive on all levels. Followed the build on FB.

Four things stand out to me on this build as  pure "show off" level bad ass bladesmithery (meant in a good way).

1: The crazy loopy pattern (forget the name) on the bar just inside the edge bar. That's some next-level pattern welding. 

2: The mid ridge. That's a lot of precision work. Makes my shoulders ache just thinking about doing one.

3: The pommel: Jelly-roll, shmelly-roll . . . that crazy wavy W's version is just pure "hold my beer and watch this" PW.

4: Those tiny PW rods in the grip. It's just a decadent addition. Like adding bacon bits on top of an bacon omelet, smothered with cheese, with a side of bacon, and a bloody mary with a deep-fried stick of bacon in it.  Like, hell yeah I just did that, but wait . . . yeah, I did that too.

Grins,

Dave

 

Ahahaha!  Yeah the twist bars for the grip cage, a little over the top maybe but dang it not that much harder than just making them white.  They drove me a little crazy though, I snapped three of them when cold-curving to match the grip and had to go back to the fire twice for more stock...
I think the grinding on the midrib actually seriously messed my neck up.  I went on a trip over the weekend a day or two after the grinding for that, and my neck ended up being so cranked by the time I went to sleep on Saturday night that when I woke I needed hep to get out of bed from the pain.  It lasted two days nearly that bad... and it seemed to be in the area that was in tension and was sore after that day of grinding.  
That type of jelly, made from laddered bar is something I thought of, and haven't seen anyone else do... I wouldn't be surprised if it's been done though.  I really like how much more interesting it makes the standard jelly, especially when done in low-layer for impact.  Plus this was cool, being able to leave it round and not have to square it for inclusion in a blade.  I liked seeing it without the dang square outer shoulders...
All in all I spent more time than planned on this piece and was a bit exhausted when finished, truthfully parts of it I'd have liked the luxury of more time to finesse but I just had to finish it ultimately, with budget and time run out... I worked about 3 weeks of 6-7 days each on it I think.
Thanks for the detailed comments man, I appreciate it!  And thanks again all of you who've dropped in to give feedback, I think this forum in particular is where I get the most stoked to bring stuff to show because the smithing community is so serious, enthused, and involved here with real blade work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a truly beautiful dagger!

The grind of the blade is fantastic, I love the effect the ridge has on the pattern welded steel. And the inlays in the handle was a stroke of genius.

Well done, thanks a lot for sharing with us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressed! And I'm not real impressionable! But I am impressed. That handle looks completly unique and yet it does not seem out of sorts with the weapon. And that pommel ,and shoot! Just  all of it!.....Bravo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, wow, wow! I love the blade shape with the back ridge and the handle (both could be from a 16th century assassins dagger :D)

The handle reminds me of this:

DSC_0441.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, I have not seen that one!
I based the work on this old type XV sword...
oakeshott-type-xv-sword-from-italy-4.jpg

oakeshott-type-xv-sword-from-italy-3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 7:26 PM, Salem Straub said:

I would also enjoy it if he meant it how it sounds... cause dang it I'm not completely impressed with what I make either!  Heck I guess if I ever completely impressed myself I'd have to quit, there'd be nothing left to do!  The fact that there's dudes to try to catch up to always pulls me on, plus this stuff is just fascinating on it's own merits...
Thanks for the comments guys, it's very encouraging to a hermit like me!

Well, if it helps, I've never been impressed by your work either. Dumbfounded, yes. That happens every time I look at one of your pieces though.:blink:

Seriously though, quite the accomplishment there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...