Alex tritten

lines appear after coffee etching?

So I'm finishing my first multi bar knife, an integral chef i'm pretty happy with considering it has taken 5 tries to get there (5 forging tries, 3 handles...). I etched it three times in ferric and thought the contrast wasn't to my liking, so decided to try out instant coffee etching. I first tried it out on a former, smaller knife i had, and absolutely loved it, so in went my new knife, as well as all the others I had. Coffee etching rules!!

Only one problem: Where before i had a not so contrast-ful but clean pattern, I end up with a good contrast, but lines have appeared on one side of the knife. all the other blades came out great, but not my latest, as luck would have it... any idea why? Picture attached!chef lines.jpg

But how do you explain it only appeared after the coffee etch, NOT after the ferric chloride etch??? It bugs me!! having to sand the handle now, will probably scratch the guard and have to sand it all and etch it all over again anyway... thanks for your input!

Did you wipe it down with anything after the ferric? Some cleaners can leave a residue, was the oxide layer even before it went into the coffee... left over oxide would slow the etching of the coffee.... I honestly don't know brother.  These are just guesses or points to think on. I am FAR from an expert.

• Like 1

Only windex to stop the reaction i think... It didn't go too bad, i gave it a gentle 3000 grit rub and a quick re etch in coffee and it's mostly gone, picture attached.

Thanks again for your time!chef integral.png