On to the casting portion of our show........

First, a photo during the carving that shows the tang extension through the butt cap. 

Handle assembled opt.jpg

I carved a small wax peen block and fit it over the tang extension. (no photo) Now, I only have the delft clay casting setup and that doesn't work for casting a piece with a hole through it. So I decided to try a modified lost wax idea. I embedded the wax model in some plaster of Paris and let it cure for a day, removed it from the plastic form and baked it in the Paragon at 350*F for an hour or two to remove the wax. The stem that filled the hole mostly exploded when I filled the form with molten shibu, but I did get a peen block casting.

Casting cup opt.jpg

Cup 2 opt.jpg

Casting 2.JPG

You can easily see the obvious flaw in the casting. Not to be deterred, I saw a design option with this. The original design was going to have me make inset holes for the lanyard ring in the ends of the peen block. Now I will change that and put them in the sides. Drill and file to fit the tang.Design op.JPG

I took a 3/16" round file and pushed that arch through the other side. Still a lot of clean up to do in this pic, but now to make the lanyard ring.

Edited by Joshua States

In delft clay casting, (a form of sand casting) you can make a model and reuse it over and over again. I used a piece of brass brazing rod and some 14 ga. copper wire to make the lanyard ring model. Here is the basic process: Fill the bottom half of the form with sand and press the model into it. Coat the surface with talc, fit the top half and fill with sand. Take the halves apart, remove the model, cut the sprue lines and fill tube with pour funnel. Reassemble, fill with molten metal and remove the casting.

DSCN3992.JPG

DSCN3993.JPG

DSCN3995.JPG

DSCN3997.JPG

Cut the excess off and clean up the fitting. Check for fit in place.

DSCN4003.JPG

Still a little clean up and polish to do here, but you get the idea.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

On to the sheath making.

After sizing and cutting out the leather, I trace the outline onto some white drawing paper and design my carvings. For inspiration and ides, I used these two books.

books.JPG

DSCN4060.JPG

DSCN4061.JPG

I couldn't decide what to put in that lower corner. At first I wanted to do a stylized version of the constellation Orion. That wouldn't fit.

Then I use tracing paper and trace the drawings so I can transfer them to the leather with a blunt stylus. I decided to do a version of the Celtic Good Luck Knot instead of Orion.

DSCN4062.JPG

DSCN4063.JPG

Once the designs are transferred to the leather, I cut the lines with a swivel knife. The top half is cut in this photo, the bottom is not.

DSCN4077.JPG

Everything cut.

DSCN4079.JPG

Edited by Joshua States

Now a set of bevel stamps will work the lines to push the leather down and "raise" the body of the design.

DSCN4078.JPG

DSCN4080.JPG

DSCN4081.JPG

DSCN4087.JPG

You can also see I have drilled my stitching holes for the primary seam.

Adding the background and detailing to the carving makes the whole picture complete.

DSCN4089.JPG

DSCN4090.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice job on everything. Keep it going!

• Thanks 1

Gittin better all the time ........B)

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys!

Are you using a round awl to punch the holes for the stitch? :o

I appreciate you sharing the detail on how you are doing the leather work.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

16 hours ago, Francesco Muci said:

Are you using a round awl to punch the holes for the stitch? :o

No, I use a tapered 5/64" drill bit in the drill press. I took a drill bit, chucked it in a cordless drill, put the drill in reverse and tapered the end to a point. When I lay out the holes (using a stitching wheel for spacing) I mark each hole location with a red pen and drill them on the drill press. Typically, the sheath is glued together in correct orientation and I drill though all the layers at the same time. On this one, I did each side separately with the spacer glued to one side.

Edited by Joshua States

Have you ever tried glueing all together, then marking the holes and then punching them with an diamond cross awl, on 45° angle? This would give you a very attractive zig-zag stitching. Just a different point of view. 

Awesome jobe and thanks for sharing

7 minutes ago, Francesco Muci said:

then punching them with an diamond cross awl, on 45° angle?

I have not, and I'm having difficulty visualizing this. Can you demonstrate?

I will try and take pics tomorrow morning as I am making a sheath in these days. I am not a good "stitcher", by all means, and it takes years of practice to perform a well executed stitch, but I can share the little that I can do. Anyway, once you master that technique, the stitching looks very professional and it is also incredibly strong...

Time to wrap this up.

I needed a few more fittings for the belt loop attachments. This is the two rings, clasps (?) and a shibu dowel to pin the clasps to the sheath.

Castings.JPG

Add a few black/gray rivets along the edge and the sheath is complete.

Loops.JPG

Sheath.JPG

So this is my first attempt at a Seax. I hope you enjoyed this one as much as I did.  Here are a few more shots of the completed set.

Knife 1.JPG

DSCN4199.JPG

Front Fit.JPG

Butt & block.JPG

Combined.JPG

• Like 2

You are on a dangerous path, my friend!  The rabbit hole is deep and dark, and you will not return the same, if you return at all. B)  Here be dragons, after all.

Nicely done!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

You are on a dangerous path, my friend!  

The best kind of path, for the easy life is not worth living!

you will not return the same,

Unless I am very unlucky or terribly unwise. ;)

Nicely done!

Thank you sir!

Awesome! Really nice work. The seax is very cool and well executed, dont get me wrong, but that sheath is outstanding.

• Thanks 1

Awesome job. I like the Japanese influence on a Nordic design. 

I am sorry I did not have the time to post those picture, nor even touch my sheath for what that matters... I will try to open another thread for that, so I won't bother yours.

Again, beautiful job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Francesco Muci said:

I will try to open another thread for that, so I won't bother yours.

Another post is fine, or posting here. I don't mind either way.

Awesome work, dude!

• Thanks 1

Mighty fine stuff there Josh .......B)

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.