5160 ripples

So I got a question for the 5160 aficionados in the room. Making a hunter from 1/4" thick 5160 bar stock, stock removal only. Shape cut, bevels done, and surface finished to 500 grit. Did the heat treat in 130°ish canola oil. HT twice (bright orange just above non-magnetic) because I wasn't satisfied with the file test. Tempered twice for 1 hour at 375-400°.
That done, ground off the scale and started on the finish and along the spine, back by the ricasso, there are some shallow ripples running parallel to the spine. I didn't see the defect before HT. Is anyone familiar with this happening? There are only 3-5 ripples/wrinkles per side.
Is this only going to be a cosmetic problem to try and cover up with a patina and flat finish or is my steel toast?

20180125_200939.jpg

20180125_200742.jpg

Coal forge. I've been told I might have heated too hot during HT. Held at bright orange instead of dull orange/red. And that the soak was unnecessary for 5160. Basicly decarburization. Also told maybe too course of grinding prior to HT. Brought our tge scratches. Then of course, maybe just a bad chunk of steel.

Overheating and decarb on 5160 shows up as low blisters, not wrinkles.  That's what I was expecting to see, in fact.  It does need to be about 100 degrees above nonmagnetic to harden right, but I have never seen those wrinkles before.  I lean towards the bad batch theory, although that is pretty rare these days.  Where did you get it?  If it was Aldo the New Jersey Steel Baron he might replace it.  

Those actually do look like shallow gouges that cheap high grit belts will put into steel.  At what point did you notice them after heat treat?

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

• 3 weeks later...

I am WAY late to the party on this because I've been getting settled in my new home in Illinois and haven't been online much, but I had something exactly like this happen to me and I figured out what it is (at least for me). Take off your belt and look at your platen. Chances are really good that right where you held that knife against the belt, you're going to find something stuck to it. For me, it looked like a bead of black tar. I assume it's some adhesive or something from the belt and metal dust. It was stuck on there real good and didn't want to come off. So when the belt was running and I pushed the knife against that one spot, the belt followed the contour. Then when I dragged the knife across, it created that line. Scrubbed my platen down and chipped off all that stuff, touched it up with sandpaper, and it fixed it. Now I clean the platen pretty thoroughly every few weeks to keep it from happening again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

1520465646570-1869926388.jpg

I found i was running the top edge of the platen. Kinda hard to see in the picture. There is more there than what is visible. I actually had to use the glare from the light to see it.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm