Sign in to follow this  
Troels Saabye

Casting a gold ring

Lately I've been processing last years leftover beeswax, and figured I'd like to tro lost wax casting. I have around 2 ounces of gold lying around, so why not make a bad ass ring ? My question is : can I make a wax mold covered with natural clay (it is blue when wet, don't know the name of it, just dug it up from the farm) burn out the wax and then pour in the gold ?

It could work, similar process has been used with success for centuries. 

However I would advise getting some carving wax and casting investment from a jewelry supply place. It would be a shame if your mold fell apart when casting your precious gold.

These materials are not all that expensive and will greatly improve your chance of success

It could work, similar process has been used with success for centuries. 

However I would advise getting some carving wax and casting investment from a jewelry supply place. It would be a shame if your mold fell apart when casting your precious gold.

These materials are not all that expensive and will greatly improve your chance of success

Very.  It is much harder when cold, can be polished, and will take very fine detail.  The blue clay sounds like it would be good for stoneware, but might shrink when fired.  You may want to test it first.

Thanks :).. After some research, I've decided to go for plaster of paris casting instead. As far as I can see it should be easier to control  as for the detail well, not much detail in my design, going for a rough look :)

1 hour ago, Troels Saabye said:

I've decided to go for plaster of paris casting instead.

I would think this is not a good material choice for gold.  I would think you are going to want to pre-heat your shell to a temperature where the plaster of paris will fall apart.  Plaster of Paris is only really OK for lower temp materials, like lead, tin, and maybe aluminum.  From what I know about it at least.  My specialty is steel casting.  

Okay :) Jerrod. I don't know if it is plaster of paris, but the shop sells it as plaster for casting silver and gold - so I'd asume it could be used ? But what material would be suitable for casting gold ?

Ah, casting slurry is very different from PoP.  If it is sold as a casting shell material you are probably golden (sorry, I couldn't resist).  

;) well played pun!  There we are :) pescy english language ^^ hard to find the correct name for new stuff. Great, it isn't that expensive.