Would a bucket with with some kaowool work?

And a pipe with an air source attached to it.

Edited by Conner Michaux

Like Charles said a bit more information would be helpful.

Forge body?

Forge lining?

Forge design ?

Tuerye?

Blower/air supply ?

Fuel/coal ?

I am sure there are several of us who could answer any questions you have between us. Many of us have or do use coal or charcoal forges and have built our own. It would be a good opportunity to discuss features and experience once we know what you need:)

Well, in the long run, over a year, a simple gas forge isn't that expensive to build or run but, having started out on a tiny budget let me share what I've done a few times.

You need a fire pot. I used a large truck brake drum for one and a small single metal sink for another. I have seen them made from small cheap bbq's. The important thing is what you can get to line the metal "bowl". I have used recycled hard fire bricks packed in with a mix of fireplace ash and clay I dug from my yard. Then you have to have a blower to supply air and a way to direct it in to the forge. I have used a thrift store hair dryer and cobbled together pipe for that.

Edited by Vern Wimmer

The lining would be Kaowool the body would be a Steel bucket I think I would be using Bituminous Coal. For an air source I would use a hair dryer but it would be far enough away so it would not melt. the pipe would be running through the bucket with tiny holes in it to get air through the entire thing.

Edited by Conner Michaux

The bucket would be on its side and I would screw some long metal pipes onto it for legs.

Thats just my idea but I don't know if it would work so if you have any suggestions let me know :)

I dont think you want to use kaowool with coal. I may be wrong but i dont see it holding up worth crap. If you have kaowool check out my topic about a very simple beginners propane forge at the top of the beginners section.

Okay thanks! it does look pretty simple but im not sure how to make a propane burner.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will help you with whatever you need.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Just to add, no, kaowool does not work with coal.  It melts.  A bucket is too deep, and laying it sideways is a really bad idea.  There is a thread around here somewhere called "defend your fire pot" that is specifically about coal forges. Gas forges are only similar in that they are a way to get steel hot.  Otherwise they share zero design elements with coal forges beyond fuel+air = heat.

Find your local blacksmiths guild.  They are a great way to learn what you actually need, and while you may think there are no smiths near you there probably are.  We just tend to keep a low profile.

Whew! thats good that i didn't build a forge earlier I would have had melted Kaowool everywhere.

How many times do you need to fill up the propane tank when forging? How fast does the tank run out of propane?

I go through a 100 pounder once every couple months or so. But I forge every chance I get. Its the reason I'm up to my eyeballs in handleless blades. 

It all depends on you. If you can afford it; I'd suggest you buy a big tank. 

The little forge I built can run ok in a 20#er but if you build a larger forge I would highly recommend a 100#er because a 20#er will frost up and you loose all your pressure but the little one was designed to run on a 20#er when it was originaly a turkey fryer and i ran the little one for 2 hours and I didn't notice a difference in weight when i picked it up.

I had the part in brackets written but my phone lost service until now and Alan covered it.

(If you have kaowool and a hair dryer you are halfway to a propane forge already. 

A bucket, on its side is really a non-starter. Solid fuels need to be in a container with an open top. They work differently than a gas forge.)

I still run my forge off a 20# but I know better. Of course without a power hammer or press a freeze up means a welcome"Break time while I swap tanks" Someone here mentioned that you can run 2 20#s off a manifold, like used on camp trailers, without freezeups, which I may try.

It's surprising how much you can do off a 20 once you get past the initial learning curve. Of course there is no way it would be efficient for a 40 hr+ a week shop.

Jeremy did a great job with that project. I have to say that, if you find a compatible  venturi turkey fryer burner, or build  a blown simple burner, Jeremy's design so far, is probably the least expensive with the most potential DIY/beginners forge I've seen. There are always exceptions for scrounged this and that, but to start from zero with maybe a drill and a couple of wrenches there's not much like it. Total cost with careful shopping and thrift store visits would be well under $100 either blown or venturi with fryer burner or home made, and that includes the first tank of propane. That might even include a decent regulator carefully shopped for.

Soft firebricks, more expensive and fragile might work even better but would require some changes I haven't figured out yet.