Sign in to follow this  
DavidF

Knife #3 - Santoku

I completed my third knife. It is a Santoku for my mom. It is 1095 steel. It is a 7” blade and 5” handle. This was my first multi material handle. Learned a lot and enjoyed the process.

D48CCCE8-F30D-4656-B750-6FD210C3A50E.jpeg8521C285-0731-46C0-918D-CFBD0669FC2E.jpeg35F92A6F-F7E3-4D3B-8AF3-9CCF739615E5.jpeg4B743A6C-8597-489B-AC71-0669B2C11829.jpeg

Very ambitios for a 3rd knife! Looks good! The only improvements for the next might be general profile shape, and handle proportion. you never want a handle that is more of a cube than an oval. Pin placement could use some refinement. Overall, way better than my 3rd! 

Oh, and on the next, I would make the blade wider to give my hand more clearance when chopping so you don't bang knuckles. 

Agreed. I didn’t want to attempt to forge the bevels. I am trying to pick up one new practice with each knife. I have a forge project coming up because I got my hands on some leaf spring. I will need to shape it before grinding, so we will see how I do on that one

What were your specific thoughts on blade profile and handle proportion?

58 minutes ago, DavidF said:

What were your specific thoughts on blade profile and handle proportion?

Santokus are usually used on a cutting board, comfortable knuckle clearance is a good thing. The curve of the handle gets in the way of that a bit. When testing knife designs, I usually cut a template out of Masonite- cardboard works too- and try out a chopping motion, see how the handle feels, all that. If the blade isn’t very wide, having the handle angled up away from the board helps- you can get the same effect and keep the handle in line with the spine by bringing your edge angle and tip toward the spine a little, like this crude sketch

319C9E67-C7FB-417D-BCAD-33F424C30E13.jpeg

I had posted the WIP in the IFI forum and thought about bending the handle up after aneealing it. But it actually has enough clearance for my fingers, so I opted to to leave the handle perpendicular to the cutting edge. My preference is not to have the handle at an angle on these. But if I had done some forging instead of stock removal (or I had a higher stock) I would have preferred to have more blade height in relation to the handle.

Also, when I started this project, my forge was not running optimally, so I didn’t forge this blade and only did stock removal. I have tuned my burners now, and for future projects, I will be increasing the height of the blade through forging. That will be the project after next. My next is a tanto in exchange for leaf spring stock. The tanto will be my first hollow grind. I will be taking that one slow, because it is the first hollow grind attempt.