• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard

2x72 Belt Grinder plans

Hi

I did try: https://www.google.com.na/search?q=belt+grinder+plans+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bladesmithsforum.com&oq=b&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j69i60j69i59j69i61j69i60.3205j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm not very excited by the prospect, it's going to steal half the year as well as halve the pathetic number of blades I make in a year......but I have to.

I had plans from British Blade Forums, but I suspect the photos were links, so the documents are pretty much useless, same as many(all?) of the build threads....thank you photobucket?

I would really appreciate plans that are known to work, and I would prefer a platten. 

Before anybody suggests it, my money is worth nothing in your countries and shipping would be expensive.

I have money saved, but I cannot afford any of the manufacturers in South Africa (neighbouring country) due to an effective 30.5% tax....the tax eats what I had for belts and courier costs plus 5% I simply don't have.

Thanks, will have a look, this site has fascinating ideas but I have nowhere near the skills to build anything  from an idea.

I have a drill press, angle grinder and DC welder to try and do this, and my welding sucks.

Another big obstacle is I don't have scrap, will need to buy the steel in anything from 2m to 6m lengths.

You might try searching for "no weld grinder plans"

It's been a long time since I was thinking of going that route, but I seem to remember there was an entire sub-culture of people sharing plans for bolt-together home built grinders.  You could always adapt those plans to welding one up if you would rather go that route.

What little I know about Namibia I learned on Top Gear or Grand Tour, so I am not going to be of much help otherwise.  Best of luck!

Edited by Brian Dougherty

The disclaimer at the top says the site will soon not be available. Du-du-duuum. Best get downloading soon,

Yeah.
There is a permalink somewhere too.
But yeah get it.
Maybe an admin could pin it here?
Would help the knifemaking world a lot

Thanks, I got the plans.

The fact that they Autocad drawing might be a bonus, there are at least 2 laser cutters operating in town so that could save a lot of time....if I can afford them.

:wacko: Still no motor & VFD quote, contacted the guy yesterday to ask that he adds 2kW and 3kW motors as options......actually to find out if he's still alive.

I realised yesterday this whole rigmarole is causing me huge stress, exactly what I don't need.

Anyway, working till 1pm, packing the car and heading out to the desert and good friends where this journey started in earnest for me......reset and recharge. -_- 

18 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

What little I know about Namibia I learned on Top Gear or Grand Tour, so I am not going to be of much help otherwise.  Best of luck!

Firstly I'm a big fan, but no, they are not exactly Encyclopedia Namibia :D  I find even their BS entertaining, but let's just say you don't sleep on the beach in a hole you dug under your beach buggy.....that will be a very cold and unpleasant  evening.

BTW, the camping store they visited is where I buy just about everything except food, the shop assistant is one of the owners and a very good friend of mine.

And don't worry......at least you got the country's name right. ;)

4 hours ago, Gerhard said:

BTW, the camping store they visited is where I buy just about everything except food, the shop assistant is one of the owners and a very good friend of mine.

Now that is pretty cool!  I enjoy their shenanigans in a modern 3-stooges sort of way.

Good luck with the grinder build!

I'll just put them here on the forum as well. in all three configs, plus the assembly photo, so there!

assems.jpgassem11s.jpg

The drawings in one .zip file: drawings1a.zip

Individually: part1.DXF Part2.DXF Part3.DXF Part4.DXF Part5.DXF Part7.DXF Part8.DXF part9.DXF baseplate.DXF  NOTE: There is no part 6.  don't ask for it!

and finally, the drawing of all parts on a single sheet of steel: onepiece.zip

• Like 1

Should be noted that from a laser cutting perspective they will not do a good job cutting the holes.
Cutting a hole smaller than the thickness of the material is apparently no beuno with a laser.
Just learned this this week.
So perhaps they can laser mark each hole and have them drilled by hand.
All the holes appear to be .26

• Thanks 1

Your laser cutting people aren't necessarily telling you the entire story.  The heat concentration involved with cutting a hole smaller than the thickness of the material makes it very difficult to get a clean edge.  Most shops shy away from putting themselves in a position where their edge quality may be questionable, a large part of their professional reputation rides on it.  Depending on the hole size/material thickness ratio, a hole smaller than a material thickness is definitely possible.  It just takes a skilled operator with a little bit of time to get it dialed in correctly.  A lot of shops won't do this unless the money involved is worth it to them.  

Thanks for the clarification.
The shop I'm using is quite good.
And they were honest about the fact that they had had some trouble.
I haven't heard the solution yet.

Check out the $45.00 dvd  on the DVD page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.  It is quite simple to build and uses scrap steel that you probably already have or can source from a salvage yard.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

• Like 1

I haven't looked at the plans.  On a .260" hole, if it's anything thicker than 3/8" or so, I can see it being a bit of trouble.  If the hole is just a clearance for a bolt, just let them know that the edge quality doesn't matter.  It may be a little rough, but who really cares?  If it needs to locate the bolt, ask if they will put a pierce point, or etch a small (0.050" ish) circle, at the center of the hole.  This should give you enough to locate a good center punch on, then you can drill the holes out from there.

Edited by Alex Middleton

One other thing to try would be to find someone in your area with a waterjet table.  Waterjet doesn't necessarily have the same limitations with hole sizes as laser/plasma/oxyfuel does.  I don't work with waterjets all that often so I can't vouch for their edge quality, but some of the newer ones are just as good, if not better, than most lasers.

Gerhard, about that DVD Wayne mentioned and just out of curiosity. I’ve checked the exchange rate so I know that’s about 540 Namibian dollars. What is that in spending power?

8 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Gerhard, about that DVD Wayne mentioned and just out of curiosity. I’ve checked the exchange rate so I know that’s about 540 Namibian dollars. What is that in spending power?

About 2 bags of groceries......not much the way I eat :P

On 2/8/2018 at 9:39 AM, Gerhard said:

:wacko: Still no motor & VFD quote, contacted the guy yesterday to ask that he adds 2kW and 3kW motors as options......actually to find out if he's still alive.

Still in the same boat on this front......nothing.  My gut tells me I can't really start anything without the motor.

Bought some steel on Monday for the gas forge, and that was another rude awakening.....everything is sold in 6m lengths, so I have more than I need, have to pay for delivery, and it all costs more than I should be spending.....

Don't know the cost yet, but that makes the laser cutting option very attractive.  My buddy with the engineering shop recommended somebody and in the same breath mentioned we'll need to drill the holes, they wont do it.

Just thinking now, they cut according to the autocad drawing........how do I accurately place the holes?

On 2/13/2018 at 2:52 AM, Wayne Coe said:

Check out the $45.00 dvd  on the DVD page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.  It is quite simple to build and uses scrap steel that you probably already have or can source from a salvage yard.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, the complete and utter lack of scrap is a problem, and just so happens a buddy told me of a salvage yard where I can buy by the Kg.......

If you get the DVD and build Moe's Grinder you will need only some bar stock and angle iron.  You can drill and tap all of the necessary holes.