IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard

2x72 Belt Grinder plans

I bought a kit and built it myself.....with a lot of help from a friend that can weld.

Not sure if I've pasted photos, if not I'll make a plan.

I'm very happy with the end result, but I also found out very quickly that the belt-grinder doth not the knifemaker make :P

I have to learn to use it and that comes at a price.  Up until recently I used it very little, I couldn't afford to use it and maybe mess up the few knives I was busy with.

In the mean time I've used to great effect to fix a small flaw in an almost complete knife........and this past weekend I put on an 80 grit belt and got some serious work done.  

Also cut a small groove in my index finger with the edge the belt, same on the knuckle of my middle finger :P

I have two major issue, not enough light, and the grinder is mounted too low.  The only good way to solve this will take some major effort and more money than I have now, and the biggest problem is time.....

I've been meaning to ask some advice, maybe here is better than a whole separate thread.....

My platten attachment has a little outline of the African continent laser/water cut into it, when mounted it's upside down.  I'm sure the platten is meant for another machine or older model, no worries it works perfectly.

The two contact wheel either side of the platten is however not the same size, and the orientation of the cut-out makes me think the smaller wheel should be on top?

I might be OCD enough to swop everything over so Africa is upright, but which wheel where? I think they're about 60mm and 80mm, wil post some photos later.

Finally the photos......

IMG_20180703_130248.jpg

IMG_20180703_130257.jpg

IMG_20180703_130307.jpg

Looks good!  And with the small wheels it's up to you.  I have a 2" / 5.8cm wheel on top of my platen, and it's quite handy.  I don't have a rubber wheel on the bottom.

Thanks Alan.

I was just thinking since the platten can tilt the bigger wheel at the bottom would increase the radius of the bend in the belt....which is better for the belt I guess?

Also, the small wheel will be more useful in the top position.

I'm just not sure how to re-align the platten if I do..... 

lekker.. making me jealous. and is that a VFd I spy?

Some build pics

20180313_105957.jpg

20180319_113935.jpg

20180319_121905.jpg

20180319_121912.jpg

20180319_165106.jpg

20180319_165337.jpg

20180320_114554.jpg

20180320_143146.jpg

20180320_143204.jpg

1 hour ago, Ross Vosloo said:

lekker.. making me jealous. and is that a VFd I spy?

Indeed......and the advice about them is 100% correct!

My OCD got the better of me, also looked at photos of my platten on another machine and it's very clear that the bigger wheel should be at the bottom for when the platten is tilted all the way forward....the belt runs straight up to the top tensioner wheel.

I lined up the platten by setting it down on the wheels on a smooth surface, fiddled with it till everything seemed to line up. Not sure if the platten should be a little proud?

Everything seemed to go together nicely, but there seems to be a slight knock on the belt, what could cause that?

A slight knock, as you describe it, sounds like the seam where the two ends of the belt are joined. They are usually joined/spliced on a diagonal and there is a right and wrong way to put them on. Try pulling the belt off, swapping it around end for end and reinstalling.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

A slight knock, as you describe it, sounds like the seam where the two ends of the belt are joined. They are usually joined/spliced on a diagonal and there is a right and wrong way to put them on. Try pulling the belt off, swapping it around end for end and reinstalling.

:lol: To be honest, I figured no way.....

Fortunately I saw somewhere you shouldn't leave the belt on and everything tensioned when not in use, so I normally take the belt off the Tensioner wheel and leave it draped over the bottom wheels.......so I figured no way could it get turned around......it has little idiot arrows on the inside for people like me! :P

But........you got it with one guess Vern! :lol:

Wasn't really a "guess" . One day some evil person snuck into my shop when I wasn't looking.........

Yah, that's the ticket, some other dude done it:rolleyes:

A friend of mine built a belt grinder, wood frame, single speed and he used idler pulleys for wheels and improvised a platen

I gave him a few belts and most recently a 220 grit ceramic belt.

He started off with an 80 grit belt which is substantially thicker and stiffer. Yesterday afternoon he phoned quite upset, using the 220 he was getting "waves" on the blade.

On the bevel starting at the plunge the finish is dimpled, but right where the belly starts curving up there are horizontal grooves running diagonally over the bevel. 

He uses a jig, I haven't seen the grinder (very difficult wife....) and my only guess is something is not 100% with the platen........?

Is it possible that something is flexing in the frame?  Or that his tensioning wheel is "bouncing"?

When you get to the tip end of a pass on a blade, even if you have a hand on the blade it is hard to keep the same amount of pressure on the blade and any flex issues become more evident. 

A platen issue, as you said, could be the culprit as well and a less than smooth surface could do it. It becomes less possible if it still occurs at different heights on the platen.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again Vern

Both options you mention are a possibility......or reality.

I have to take my hat off to the guy that he's managed to build the thing at all, and I told him I know this place where some smart guys would have answers B)

He's trying to get a few blades done before Saturday so I can heat treat them with mine.....back to filing jig and hand sanding....