Sign in to follow this  
Kreg

cast o light for clay??

I want to order some knife supplies today steel,ferric,pins, guard material ect. I was going to order some satinite also to try that instead of rutlands for my next hamon attempt ....but I am guessing the freight will be killer. I havent really shopped yet...maybe I can get a small amount.

I can get cast o light locally.....and have one spot in my forge that needs touched up any way where my probe comes through.

Anyone know if it will work?  What your guys knife supply store of choice? I usually go to the barron for my steel....but was thinking of a one stop shop on this one.

Not sure about cast o lite, but hightemptools.com has satanite etc for really reasonable on shipping costs. You can buy it in 5lbs, and I think the guy uses the flat rate shipping from the post office, so it's really not that bad... 

Btw, just quenched my first knife with hamon, used the mizzou i lined my forge with... It flaked in a couple places, but very little, and almost definitely because of how I sucked at putting it on yhe blade. Otherwise, the hamon took perfectly, so I'd say pretty much any kind of very fine high temp refractory will do the job. Very fine is important, I'm fairly certain my flaking was due to some larger particles in my mix