I made the handle about a year ago, but as I did not have a decent forging setup at the time I delayed on making the blade. Having moved into a new home since then I managed to set up a  smithy suitable for small work. The first items I forged were a couple of blades for higonokami folders as they are some of my favourite knives to make and embellish with carvings and inlays.

DSCF5478.jpgDSCF5470.jpgDSCF5471.jpg

Blade length: 3 3/16" (80mm).
Blade width: 17/32" (13.5mm)
Blade material: W1 tool steel, differentially hardened and tempered, hand rubbed finish

Handle length: 3 3/4" (94mm)
Handle materials: Wrought iron, sterling silver, fine silver, bronze pin.
Techniques used: hon-zogan, nunome-zogan

The handle dimensions are based on that of a kozuka (lit small handle) used on the kogatana, the small side knife carried in a katana or wakizashi scabbard.

Thank you for looking, questions and comments welcome!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Conner Michaux said:

I love the rabbit. Did you make it?

Thank you. Yes, it is a raised silver inlay. First cut to shape, inlaid into the handle, then carved.

1 hour ago, Tiaan Burger said:

I made the handle about a year ago, but as I did not have a decent forging setup at the time I delayed on making the blade. Having moved into a new home since then I managed to set up a  smithy suitable for small work. The first items I forged were a couple of blades for higonokami folders as they are some of my favourite knives to make and embellish with carvings and inlays.

DSCF5478.jpgDSCF5470.jpgDSCF5471.jpg

Blade length: 3 3/16" (80mm).
Blade width: 17/32" (13.5mm)
Blade material: W1 tool steel, differentially hardened and tempered, hand rubbed finish

Handle length: 3 3/4" (94mm)
Handle materials: Wrought iron, sterling silver, fine silver, bronze pin.
Techniques used: hon-zogan, nunome-zogan

The handle dimensions are based on that of a kozuka (lit small handle) used on the kogatana, the small side knife carried in a katana or wakizashi scabbard.

Thank you for looking, questions and comments welcome!

Nice lookin blade....is that a hops plant. I need to make some beer soon.

Nice :)

The more I dabble with this craft, the more I understand how hard it is to make something that looks that "Simple" look that good.

These eastern forms are deceptively simple looking, but very difficult to make look right.

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Nice :)

The more I dabble with this craft, the more I understand how hard it is to make something that looks that "Simple" look that good.

These eastern forms are deceptively simple looking, but very difficult to make look right.

Brian, thank you. Simplicity is one of what I call "The Deeper Rules" of making things.