Jump to content

Dwarven Hunting Knife


owen bush

Recommended Posts

 

As we look Back it is always hard to tell if such a knife was made for a Dwarven Hero or for a Hero of Men, often these details are lost in the mists of time and imagination. Either way this is a stout stedfast and robust knife (certainly Dwarven made) perfect for heroic undertakings, expeditions in search of gold and adventures beyond the realms of men.

“If hunting Warg, or tracking Dragons,a stout knife is always a benefit. Keen of edge , a true stroke struck will not be repelled by the stoutest hide. But after the adventuring is done and mead is flowing. When the fire is sizzling with aromas , the hunters legacy roasting….Then tales are told and knives passed around the hall, adornment , edge and jewel reflected glittering in the firelight. The deeds of the day become bigger , wolves become wargs and tall tales become legends.

25283488657_f3221b31c8_z.jpg

The knife blade is made by me and the handle, sheath and all the other lovley bits are made by Petr Florianek (Gullinbursti) (

This 12” bladed knife is forged from 4 bars of patternweld, there is wrought iron on the spine and 2 bars of 5 later twisted steel. The edge is 300 layers of folded damascus steel, the swirls in the pattern showing the multitude of hammer striked used to forge the blade. The knife adorned with carved brass and antler, silver and garnet. Fierce beasts are carved into the handle and a Dragon writhes carved amidst the brass and garnets.

 

39256607675_f77549b221_z.jpg

28375185019_a7eed3d5b2_z.jpg

39256609365_4627154ede_z.jpg

  • Like 10

forging soul in to steel

 

owenbush.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh man that is so awesome!  Petr's details are so beautiful.  Do you have any closer shots of the steel?  I think it deserves as much attention.

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent work maesters.

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

 

Nos qui libertate donati nescimus quid constat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great stuff as usual from you guys. Great collab!

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy freakin jamoly man! That's what it's all about right there. (The rambling story guys, the knife is cool too.)

Seriously, Owen and Petr, I am awestruck. That is the kind of work I aspire to do. You guys must have a dark elf in the closet somewhere, or in your ancestry.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

 

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, Wes Detrick said:

Oh man that is so awesome!  Petr's details are so beautiful.  Do you have any closer shots of the steel?  I think it deserves as much attention.

+1

  • Like 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

 

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Holy freakin jamoly man! That's what it's all about right there. (The rambling story guys, the knife is cool too.)

Seriously, Owen and Petr, I am awestruck. That is the kind of work I aspire to do. You guys must have a dark elf in the closet somewhere, or in your ancestry.

It is that embodiment of the mythopoeic ethos that brought the international brotherhood of the Fiery Beard into existence lo these many years ago.  It cannot be faked, you've got it or you don't.  That is why it is not based on skill alone.  Of course, if you try hard enough to aquire these skills you can't help but fall under the spell of those who originated them so long ago.  Born during the Migration Period in Europe, blended with the Celts who came before, steeped in ancient lore, magic, myth (or is it?), refermented through the lens of Tolkein, at last finding a home here on Don Fogg's then-obscure little bladesmiths forum almost 2000 years later.  This knife and sheath and the men who created it are the very epitome of what it all means to some of us.  That is why we sometimes ask, "is your beard still burning?"  Sometimes the intrusions of the mundane hide the flame for a while, but once ignited it never truly goes out.  The path may change for a while, but at the heart of it all is work like this that reminds us why we do it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You've up'd the ante ! I see some things on the sheath I must do better on mine !The  garnet settings , the fine detail on the brass work is great, and the little face on the antler toggle is genius . And Yes the pattern on the blade is  terrific !  LOL. You and Petr  get a standing Ovation

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

It is that embodiment of the mythopoeic ethos that brought the international brotherhood of the Fiery Beard into existence lo these many years ago.  It cannot be faked, you've got it or you don't.  That is why it is not based on skill alone.  Of course, if you try hard enough to aquire these skills you can't help but fall under the spell of those who originated them so long ago.  Born during the Migration Period in Europe, blended with the Celts who came before, steeped in ancient lore, magic, myth (or is it?), refermented through the lens of Tolkein, at last finding a home here on Don Fogg's then-obscure little bladesmiths forum almost 2000 years later.  This knife and sheath and the men who created it are the very epitome of what it all means to some of us.  That is why we sometimes ask, "is your beard still burning?"  Sometimes the intrusions of the mundane hide the flame for a while, but once ignited it never truly goes out.  The path may change for a while, but at the heart of it all is work like this that reminds us why we do it.

I have recognized my objective. I will err and come up short only to try again. If I fail, I will fail whilst making an attempt to achieve something greater than what I am today. I have always had one foot in fantasy and one in the mundane, to the point where I am no longer certain which one is more "real" than the other. Objects like this knife beckon one's mind to embrace our ancestral memories. The ones we carry in the deep recesses of our soul that only come to the surface on rare occasion. They call us to the table, the alter, the forge and the mill. They remind us of the achievements of greater men and women with fewer distractions and greater sense of purpose. They focus our will and sharpen our intent.

I am humbled and grateful to have found this forum and been exposed to the FBB. 

  • Like 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

 

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am very lucky to be able to work with Petr , his work really brings the steel to life.

and tis all a giggle! which is also very lucky.

In 94 or 95 I was to0ld off by an old smith for saying that I wanted to "have a  Play" with patternwelding, "damascus is not a game" I was told............well It is!

Long may the laughter last!

  • Like 3

forging soul in to steel

 

owenbush.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, owen bush said:

I am very lucky to be able to work with Petr , his work really brings the steel to life.

and tis all a giggle! which is also very lucky.

In 94 or 95 I was to0ld off by an old smith for saying that I wanted to "have a  Play" with patternwelding, "damascus is not a game" I was told............well It is!

Long may the laughter last!

This attitude is why you have seen success...

-Brian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, owen bush said:

I am very lucky to be able to work with Petr , his work really brings the steel to life.

and tis all a giggle! which is also very lucky.

In 94 or 95 I was to0ld off by an old smith for saying that I wanted to "have a  Play" with patternwelding, "damascus is not a game" I was told............well It is!

Long may the laughter last!

Truer words have not been said. Long may the laughter last!

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

 

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...