owen bush

Dwarven Hunting Knife

As we look Back it is always hard to tell if such a knife was made for a Dwarven Hero or for a Hero of Men, often these details are lost in the mists of time and imagination. Either way this is a stout stedfast and robust knife (certainly Dwarven made) perfect for heroic undertakings, expeditions in search of gold and adventures beyond the realms of men.

“If hunting Warg, or tracking Dragons,a stout knife is always a benefit. Keen of edge , a true stroke struck will not be repelled by the stoutest hide. But after the adventuring is done and mead is flowing. When the fire is sizzling with aromas , the hunters legacy roasting….Then tales are told and knives passed around the hall, adornment , edge and jewel reflected glittering in the firelight. The deeds of the day become bigger , wolves become wargs and tall tales become legends.

25283488657_f3221b31c8_z.jpg

The knife blade is made by me and the handle, sheath and all the other lovley bits are made by Petr Florianek (Gullinbursti) (

This 12” bladed knife is forged from 4 bars of patternweld, there is wrought iron on the spine and 2 bars of 5 later twisted steel. The edge is 300 layers of folded damascus steel, the swirls in the pattern showing the multitude of hammer striked used to forge the blade. The knife adorned with carved brass and antler, silver and garnet. Fierce beasts are carved into the handle and a Dragon writhes carved amidst the brass and garnets.

39256607675_f77549b221_z.jpg

28375185019_a7eed3d5b2_z.jpg

39256609365_4627154ede_z.jpg

• Like 10

Oh man that is so awesome!  Petr's details are so beautiful.  Do you have any closer shots of the steel?  I think it deserves as much attention.

Oh wow thats awesome :D

Outstanding Owen...that's an amazing piece of work

Excellent work maesters.

Im sure the dwarven master smiths would be impressed. Quite stunning and detailed. 

Oh, now that's the stuff!  You and Petr channel excellent dwarves!

Holy freakin jamoly man! That's what it's all about right there. (The rambling story guys, the knife is cool too.)

Seriously, Owen and Petr, I am awestruck. That is the kind of work I aspire to do. You guys must have a dark elf in the closet somewhere, or in your ancestry.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, Wes Detrick said:

Oh man that is so awesome!  Petr's details are so beautiful.  Do you have any closer shots of the steel?  I think it deserves as much attention.

+1

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Holy freakin jamoly man! That's what it's all about right there. (The rambling story guys, the knife is cool too.)

Seriously, Owen and Petr, I am awestruck. That is the kind of work I aspire to do. You guys must have a dark elf in the closet somewhere, or in your ancestry.

It is that embodiment of the mythopoeic ethos that brought the international brotherhood of the Fiery Beard into existence lo these many years ago.  It cannot be faked, you've got it or you don't.  That is why it is not based on skill alone.  Of course, if you try hard enough to aquire these skills you can't help but fall under the spell of those who originated them so long ago.  Born during the Migration Period in Europe, blended with the Celts who came before, steeped in ancient lore, magic, myth (or is it?), refermented through the lens of Tolkein, at last finding a home here on Don Fogg's then-obscure little bladesmiths forum almost 2000 years later.  This knife and sheath and the men who created it are the very epitome of what it all means to some of us.  That is why we sometimes ask, "is your beard still burning?"  Sometimes the intrusions of the mundane hide the flame for a while, but once ignited it never truly goes out.  The path may change for a while, but at the heart of it all is work like this that reminds us why we do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You've up'd the ante ! I see some things on the sheath I must do better on mine !The  garnet settings , the fine detail on the brass work is great, and the little face on the antler toggle is genius . And Yes the pattern on the blade is  terrific !  LOL. You and Petr  get a standing Ovation

51 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

It is that embodiment of the mythopoeic ethos that brought the international brotherhood of the Fiery Beard into existence lo these many years ago.  It cannot be faked, you've got it or you don't.  That is why it is not based on skill alone.  Of course, if you try hard enough to aquire these skills you can't help but fall under the spell of those who originated them so long ago.  Born during the Migration Period in Europe, blended with the Celts who came before, steeped in ancient lore, magic, myth (or is it?), refermented through the lens of Tolkein, at last finding a home here on Don Fogg's then-obscure little bladesmiths forum almost 2000 years later.  This knife and sheath and the men who created it are the very epitome of what it all means to some of us.  That is why we sometimes ask, "is your beard still burning?"  Sometimes the intrusions of the mundane hide the flame for a while, but once ignited it never truly goes out.  The path may change for a while, but at the heart of it all is work like this that reminds us why we do it.

I have recognized my objective. I will err and come up short only to try again. If I fail, I will fail whilst making an attempt to achieve something greater than what I am today. I have always had one foot in fantasy and one in the mundane, to the point where I am no longer certain which one is more "real" than the other. Objects like this knife beckon one's mind to embrace our ancestral memories. The ones we carry in the deep recesses of our soul that only come to the surface on rare occasion. They call us to the table, the alter, the forge and the mill. They remind us of the achievements of greater men and women with fewer distractions and greater sense of purpose. They focus our will and sharpen our intent.

I am humbled and grateful to have found this forum and been exposed to the FBB. 

• Like 1

I am very lucky to be able to work with Petr , his work really brings the steel to life.

and tis all a giggle! which is also very lucky.

In 94 or 95 I was to0ld off by an old smith for saying that I wanted to "have a  Play" with patternwelding, "damascus is not a game" I was told............well It is!

Long may the laughter last!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, owen bush said:

I am very lucky to be able to work with Petr , his work really brings the steel to life.

In 94 or 95 I was to0ld off by an old smith for saying that I wanted to "have a  Play" with patternwelding, "damascus is not a game" I was told............well It is!

This attitude is why you have seen success...

4 hours ago, owen bush said:

Truer words have not been said. Long may the laughter last!