IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Gary Mulkey

Starting a New Mosaic

The weather here today was ideal, 60 degrees without a cloud in the sky so I spent the day making steel.  This was  the first full day in the shop that I've had for a while and loved it.

I started with a stack of 1080 & 15N20 with a triple layer of 1080 in the center.

IMG_7321_opt

Welded:

IMG_7323_opt

A "W" squeeze and drawn out:

IMG_7325_opt

Cut & stacked:

IMG_7350_opt

I added some additional 15N20 between layers:

IMG_7352_opt

Welded:

IMG_7355_opt

Squared on the bias:

IMG_7357_opt

A first look at the pattern when 4-wayed:

IMG_7360_opt

Welded:

IMG_7374_opt

I'm thinking that I  may give this pattern three 4-way welds for a small intricate  pattern.  Hopefully that won't cause me to won't cause me to lose too much mass for a Bowie  size blade . 

Edited by Gary Mulkey

I got in another good day on the forge  today.  Here's the billet after a second 4-way weld:

IMG_7374_opt

I wanted to double  the number of the  original design vertically so I did a cut & fold:

IMG_7375_opt

IMG_7377_optIMG_7378_opt

The design here is a little finer than what will be the end result.  I  forged it smaller than needed to make it easier to cut the tiles.  I will cut  them extra thick and flatten to expand the pattern and make it bolder as I  weld  the tiles and blade smith it.

IMG_7393_opt

That looks so cool already. I agree, cant wait to see this finished.

I got the billet tile cut & welded today as well as bladesmithed into a blade.  I decided to devote the entire billet into a recurve Bowie style blade which gave me one at 13".  [You will see that the white lines at the tile welds disappear as I proceed with the blade.]

IMG_7487_optIMG_7493_optIMG_7512_opt

I'm still debating on the style of hilt for this one.  I'll try to keep  you updated as I  go.

I love that pattern.  That's what I think of when I hear pattern welded steel.  It gives me something to aspire to someday!

• Like 1

That is a lovely pattern Gary. Reminds me of one of those sheet-webs you sometimes find in tall grass.