• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Gary Mulkey

Starting a New Mosaic

The weather here today was ideal, 60 degrees without a cloud in the sky so I spent the day making steel.  This was  the first full day in the shop that I've had for a while and loved it.

I started with a stack of 1080 & 15N20 with a triple layer of 1080 in the center.

IMG_7321_opt

Welded:

IMG_7323_opt

A "W" squeeze and drawn out:

IMG_7325_opt

Cut & stacked:

IMG_7350_opt

I added some additional 15N20 between layers:

IMG_7352_opt

Welded:

IMG_7355_opt

Squared on the bias:

IMG_7357_opt

A first look at the pattern when 4-wayed:

IMG_7360_opt

Welded:

IMG_7374_opt

I'm thinking that I  may give this pattern three 4-way welds for a small intricate  pattern.  Hopefully that won't cause me to won't cause me to lose too much mass for a Bowie  size blade . 

Edited by Gary Mulkey

I got in another good day on the forge  today.  Here's the billet after a second 4-way weld:

IMG_7374_opt

I wanted to double  the number of the  original design vertically so I did a cut & fold:

IMG_7375_opt

IMG_7377_optIMG_7378_opt

The design here is a little finer than what will be the end result.  I  forged it smaller than needed to make it easier to cut the tiles.  I will cut  them extra thick and flatten to expand the pattern and make it bolder as I  weld  the tiles and blade smith it.

IMG_7393_opt

That looks so cool already. I agree, cant wait to see this finished.

I got the billet tile cut & welded today as well as bladesmithed into a blade.  I decided to devote the entire billet into a recurve Bowie style blade which gave me one at 13".  [You will see that the white lines at the tile welds disappear as I proceed with the blade.]

IMG_7487_optIMG_7493_optIMG_7512_opt

I'm still debating on the style of hilt for this one.  I'll try to keep  you updated as I  go.

I love that pattern.  That's what I think of when I hear pattern welded steel.  It gives me something to aspire to someday!

• Like 1

That is a lovely pattern Gary. Reminds me of one of those sheet-webs you sometimes find in tall grass.