Adriaan Gerber

Forge-welding damascus tiles

Once you have tiles cut off the end of a bar of damascus, how do you weld them together? I have tried welding them to a sacrificial plate before forge welding but the joints have never been very good. Any body that can give a few pointers? 

The key to getting good welds is to  have your billet surface ground accurately before cutting the tiles.  This will insure a tight fit between the tiles when you get ready to forge weld them.  If you are having trouble holding the tiles tightly together when tack welding them try using superglue.  It will disappear as you heat the tiles and will make it easier to hold them together until you get them tack  welded.

Also, always cut your tiles too thick so that you have plenty of material to squeeze when welding the tiles.  Take a look at my WIP. 

It may give you some ideas.

Here's another way, if you want edge bars (these are twisted w's surrounding the tiles) you can just tack those on there.  You have to get a fast flat crush on it from both directions though on the first heat.  This one welded up OK with kerosene and then flux in subsequent heats.
28168398_1638337759575627_60687993726188

I thought to add, I've had success with thick straight sided tiles with a thin 15n20 plate top and bottom... kerosene also.  Again, gotta crush it hard flat and quick in as few bites as possible, first heat, then heat n repeat.  This was for side grain but it would work for face grain with just waster plates I'm sure.

27657199_1623747111034692_88052011659951

Edited by Salem Straub