IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Cook

spine thickness?

Did this the other night as a potential me-sized version of my last knife. (pardon the mess, there were small children involved) The whole thing is about 9.75" x 1.5" with 5" of that being handle. I'm thinking full tang out of 80crv2. 

Short story still short, a big old boy I work with wants me to make this for him as a barter. Problem is, I tend to think edc. He will likely murder a few trees. Is I make this as drawn, Is 3/16" spine too thin for arborcide?

PSX_20180212_110413.jpg

Edited by Jon Cook
forgot picture

As long as you get the HT right 3/16" should be fine.  Machetes are usually 1/16" or less, remember.  Just tell him only idiots baton knives.  If you want to use that method you need a froe or an axe.

• Like 1

A picture would probably help. When you say "Should be fine," would 3/16" be considered overkill for a sane person? 

Edited by Jon Cook
idiocy

I've seen guys break 1/4 blades being stupid. If he's using it correctly then 3/16 would be fine.... if he's miss using it then it can't be made thick enough.

So, I'm looking at the drawing of a knife and trying to wrap my brain around the idea of using it for "arborcide".

All I can think of is "You shall cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with.......a herring"

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Just tell him only idiots baton knives. 

And FIF judges.......

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

So, I'm looking at the drawing of a knife and trying to wrap my brain around the idea of using it for "arborcide".

All I can think of is "You shall cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with.......a herring"

Small trees.

2 minutes ago, Jon Cook said:

Small trees.

Apparently so. Anyway 3/16" is a fine thickness for almost any knife. Thicker than I prefer for most but .200 is about as thick as I go.

Edited by Joshua States

I'm trying to imagine worst case scenarios, really. And, I'm used to carrying this thing. The knife in question rests its elbows on my knife's head.

PSX_20180212_143510.jpg

3/16" is fine for such a knife, especially given how tough 80CrV2 is when properly heat treated. 

Someone who could figure out how to break that designfrom 80CrV2 should be restricted to plastic eating utensils.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

As long as you get the HT right 3/16" should be fine.  Machetes are usually 1/16" or less, remember.  Just tell him only idiots baton knives.  If you want to use that method you need a froe or an axe.

In all fairness, some machetes can go to 1/8". A Collins WW2 jungle knife I picked up is a full eighth of an inch at least, and is damn near indestructible. Then again I like thicker backs for hard use blades. 

Once again, thank you, gentlemen. It's because of you I begin to gangle. 

I think I'm gonna start with 3/16" stock, and split the difference in the finishing. 

Most of my general type knives have come out at about 1/8" thick, and I pull one out every now and then for testing and brutalizing,  especially one that I recently discovered was slightly cracked. Been trying to break that knife naturally for like 2 weeks now, and I've done some mean stuff to it... So go with what you feel, if your buddy breaks it, its his fault lol.