• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
JPH

"The Art of the Cutler" by JJ Perret

Hello!!

Just a heads up that the monumental work "The Art of the Cutler" by JJ Perret is  being translated and I have been signed on as the technical editor. This is a real TREAT for me as I based a lot of my research on his work and to get the entire book in my hands..well...that is a dream come true.

More as things transpire..

JPH

• Like 1

Cool!

For those who don't know, Perret invented most of the damascus techniques in use today.  In the late 1700s...:ph34r:

Hello JPH

Congrats. You must be chuffed to bits. Don’t forget your own next book though. There’s a space on my shelf waiting for it... and now this one too apparently.

Charles

24 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Hello JPH

Congrats. You must be chuffed to bits. Don’t forget your own next book though. There’s a space on my shelf waiting for it... and now this one too apparently.

Charles

I was thinking the same thing. Excited for his opportunity, but impatient about his book! 

I have given it all a quick once over..the verbatim translation from 16th Cent French is interesting to read..I will be doing a  lot of notations as far as what certain materials that are mentioned with their equivalent names that they are now known by... This is a very interesting read so far..I can't wait to really dig into this.... This gives me something constructive to do while  I wait for inspections and all the other fun stuff that building a new studio entails.

Mons. Perret was an amazing craftsman..simply amazingJPH

I'm not sure why this is in the Fiery Beards thread......it isn't a joke is it? I hope not. Congrats Jim. Good news.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Silas said:

Excited for his opportunity, but impatient about his book! 

2 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Don’t forget your own next book though.

Don't rush him, lads. 

Edited by Joshua States

Looking forward to it. Perret was one of those fellows who stood head and shoulders above most, who wasn't afraid to reveal "trade secrets", as without experience and hard work they meant nothing, and who both talked the talk and walked the walk. Reminds me of a retired serviceman and full-time bladesmith of my acquaintance.