Sign in to follow this  
Vern Wimmer

So, you want to make a knife. OR,

If you do cut a propane tank make sure the valve is off of it so any pressure from expanding gasses has a large enough hole to escape. In order to get the valve off i take a leather belt and wrap it around the body of the tank so when you turn the valve out the belt tightens around the tank and gives you something to hang onto. It is usually a 2 man job.

Burnt r134-a from refrigerant tanks is extremely toxic. I suggest you proceed the same way as for propane tanks. 

Edited by Joël Mercier

Satanite is not toxic, but don't breathe the dust anyway.  

So if I get a new propane tank does it have anything it it? Or can I start cutting into it right away?

7 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

Okay good! Thanks.

Just make sure it's not pre-filled. Ask the vendor to be sure.

If you are going to buy a new tank anyway, you may want to go with a compressed air tank.  Harbor Freight sells them in 5 gallon and 11 gallon sizes.  

On 2/13/2018 at 3:36 PM, Vern Wimmer said:

I have written with a pencil by campfire light. On a manual typewriter by Coleman lantern. 

The point of the brick, or sand tray, is precisely TO "soak up heat". Technically, they would be called "heat sinks". You use them to balace out the up-down cycles of the oven, as ovens, theoretically "average" the desired temp going from plus 20 degrees to minus 20 degrees (or so) . A heat sink levels that out for the object placed on in or near it.

This may be a dumb question but do you put the knife in the sand or on top of the sand?

Just lay it on top

On 2/14/2018 at 1:21 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

I have cut many propane tanks and have never had an issue. Just dont cut it with a cutting torch like alan said. I would go to your local mechanics shop amd see if they have a freon bottle laying around. That is your best bet and your not spending $30 on a new tank justbto cut it open.

Cutting propane tanks is fine even I know this.  Just make sure they are either A brand spanking new and empty, or B they are completely empty of gas and well cleaned before you even begin to cut.

On 2/15/2018 at 12:19 PM, Jerrod Miller said:

If you are going to buy a new tank anyway, you may want to go with a compressed air tank.  Harbor Freight sells them in 5 gallon and 11 gallon sizes.  

I personally would agree with this.  You get a larger forge, it is already designed to lay down and has the feet for it, and there is zero chance of any gas ever being in it.  

larger forge is actually not ideal for beginners. The more volume inside that tank, the more heat needed to get up to forging/welding temps, and the more fuel you'll go through. And those bigger tanks require a minimum of two burners, whereas the 20lb propane cylinders can get up to a good heat with just one burner. Pros and Cons for both - just sayin.

I stand corrected.  Still in the early stages myself and if I had it to do again I'd build instead of buy.  

Improper research and jumping in can cost more than patience.

1 hour ago, Ben Hoover said:

I stand corrected.  Still in the early stages myself and if I had it to do again I'd build instead of buy.  

Improper research and jumping in can cost more than patience.

Don't worry about the difference in the tank size too much. 2" of insulating blanket will suck up a lot of the interior dimension. When you compare the HF 5 gallon with 2" of blanket vs propane tank with 1" it will be practically a wash.

If you are using a blown burner one burner should be just fine. One of the high speed T-rex or Chile forge burners should work well for an aspirated as well. A Freon tank or NEW, unused propane tank is more compact if you want to mess with them of course but I think we are evolving past the used propane tank, and it's problems.

A lot of things COULD be used but for simplicity and availability the HF tank is hard to beat.