Gary Mulkey

A Scary Day Here at the Old Homestead

Yesterday as my day was just getting started, while in the shower I heard what seemed to be an unusual noise and went into the living room to find that it was  full  of smoke.  At first  I  thought that the flue to my pellet  stove had become blocked until I  saw  that the smoke was  coming  out of the wall.  I quickly called 911 and got some  clothes on.   Grabbing a fire extinguisher I ran outside and tried to extinguish the flames.  As they rekindled I ran to my shop  for a second extinguisher and managed to subdue the fire enough to contain it to one area until the fire department arrived.  Had I not been at home or had the two extinguishers, I'm sure that  I would have lost the house.  Not a  good  day!

IMG_7521_optIMG_7524_opt

Luckily the weather has been mild so far but "Old Man Winter" is scheduled to be back this weekend.  Hopefully I can get more than a plastic tarp in place to keep out the cold before  then.

• Sad 2

Sorry to see that Gary...any idea what started the combustion in the wall??

Glad it did not happen while you were sleeping. All in all, it seems you've been lucky in your bad luck. 

Glad you and yours are OK and that you caught it in time. Something to think about. Work with fire all the time and then it comes around and bites you when you least expect it.

Thanks, everyone.  The fire started around the flue pipe but no one could  find  any definite area of cause.  I was just lucky to  be home at the time and to  have a  couple of extinguishers handy in order to contain the flames until the fire department got here.

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear this, but glad you were able to contain it as well as you did.

Gary, glad to hear everything was not worse than it was. You might have got more hot water than you knew what to do with!!:lol: Gary, sometimes you got to laugh to keep from crying!! 

I have seen too many of these kinds of fires this time a year. Sometimes it is something that has been exposed to the heat for years with out problem. I remodeled a home for a fellar one time and they were going to tear out the stove they had been using for years for heat and put in a new one. So we were opening the wall to expose all the stove pipe and replace with SS pipe. When I opened the wall, I called the homeowner to come take a look. At some time there had been a fire in the pipe chase. Everything in there was charred. Why the house never burnt down I won't ever know. I told him God was looking over him, cause his decision to change the stove and pipe was an after thought from the original plan. He agreed said, you know I just had this feeling I needed to replace the old stove and pipe!! We lined the entire chimney chase with two layers of fire resistant sheet rock and all the joints were mudded with fire resistant mud, to eliminate any air flow to the chase!! I sent my smallest guy down the chase with a putty knife tape and sheetrock fire mud! I told him it didn't have to be neat but it had to be totally sealed. 

Wowsa. I'm glad you are safe and the house is mostly intact. 

Bummer day man, glad you caught it early  ......:(

Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the concern.  I'm just glad that it wasn't the entire house.

Whoa. Relieved for you Gary. That was a close one.

• Like 1

I am happy to hear you are safe Gary.  I am also glad you didn't lose your home.  Sounds like you were Johnny On the Spot with those extinguishers and I bet some choice words were uttered :)

• Like 1

I probably did utter something when I realized that all that I was wearing was my birthday suit when I called 911 and that the fire department was on their way.  That may have been the quickest that I  have ever gotten dressed.:D

• Haha 1

HA!  Clothes pretty much put themselves on at that point.

Geez, sorry to hear it. I'm glad you're ok though, and I'm glad you didn't lose you whole home.

Scary.   Any more ideas on the cause?

5 years ago I replaced the old wood stove with a new efficient unit.    Put in all new chimney parts.   Hired everything out to the pro stove shop.

When the guys were removing the old chimney piping they found a partially open joint just under the roof peak where the piping penetrated the roof.

General opinion was this easily could have caught the roof on fire.    We all know when a 3 tab roof catches fire it is impossible to put out.

So guys, if you heat with wood, have a pro thoroughly inspect the chimney and roof penetration.  Cheap insurance!!!!

I still don't know exactly where it started.  I had a professional clean & inspect it two weeks before the fire.  It'll have new double wall pipe now.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

4 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

I still don't know exactly where it started.  I had a professional clean & inspect it two weeks before the fire.  It'll have new double wall pipe now.

Might want to let them know. Nothing like this to keep one on their toes.