Jeremy Blohm

Cutlers anvil

And Owen, thanks for reposting that film.  We all should watch it regularly.  Mr. Craven had more skill than I know what to do with... Absolutely LOVE the nail nick hardy.  The man forged folder blades the modern books say you can't do without surface grinders and milling machines.  Inspirational stuff.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 3:07 AM, owen bush said:

just a few comments....

Most of the sheffield cutlers anvils are mounted onto (or into) large stone blocks, traditionaly using rotted horse manure to tamp them in.

I have a few cutlers anvils  with the tooling slots.  ( or toolmakers anvils)and they range in weight from around 150 to 700 lb. Most of these were designed for large scale manufacturing ...so repetativly making the same product 1000"s of times.

I have tooled up one of mine and it works just fine...

sure many of you have seen it...ive watched it many times a lot to learn from this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpeyhC-UIFg

Well don't hold on the pictures..   all the ones I had seen previously were in the 400 and up.. 

The guy had this one advertised as 600lbs but knew it wasn' t 600lbs when I saw it..     This one was a little different as it had the horn and heel with large hardie hole..  I contacted the guy again to see if he knew any history.. Never heard back.. 

By the way Owen,    I knew about the way they are mounted..   Its 'really pretty amazng..  The body of the anvil is tapered so once it's sat into the hole anything that falls into the margins just locks it in even more.. 

Edited by JenniferP

On 1/31/2019 at 2:52 PM, Alan Longmire said:

And Owen, thanks for reposting that film.  We all should watch it regularly.  Mr. Craven had more skill than I know what to do with... Absolutely LOVE the nail nick hardy.  The man forged folder blades the modern books say you can't do without surface grinders and milling machines.  Inspirational stuff.

I hadn't seen that until now.... You know I used to think I was somewhat proficient at hammer work... He gets that done 10x faster and 10x better than I did.

Now I really want to try finding a cutlers anvil and setting it up with custom tooling!

Here's a good short showing one of that pattern of anvil in use for sword blades.

9 hours ago, JenniferP said:

Well don't hold on the pictures..   all the ones I had seen previously were in the 400 and up.. 

The guy had this one advertised as 600lbs but knew it wasn' t 600lbs when I saw it..     This one was a little different as it had the horn and heel with large hardie hole..  I contacted the guy again to see if he knew any history.. Never heard back.. 

By the way Owen,    I knew about the way they are mounted..   Its 'really pretty amazng..  The body of the anvil is tapered so once it's sat into the hole anything that falls into the margins just locks it in even more.. 

Ill dig some out, I must have 8 or ten of these anvils now.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:50 PM, Jerrod Miller said:

Interchangeable horns, duh!  

It sure does look that way!

image.jpg