Sign in to follow this  
Joshua States

Puukko Making video

I found this YouTube channel today simply called "Northmen".

One of the videos on it is about the Puukko and features a 3rd generation knife maker in Finland.  There are some small bits of misinformation in this video that I put down to translation difficulties and the age of the video. Still, it's a good waste of 14 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs&t=170s

Aiden C C: how about that birch bark handle? Whatcha think?

Edited by Joshua States

That is some beautiful work, too bad the narrator is ignorant of the difference between hardening and tempering.

As fer waste of 14mins ...not to me.....B)

Ah it is this video, one of my favourites, one day I will try such a horse head puukko.

This video has been on the internet for quite some time now, the Northmen channel is just gathering a lot of these old craft videos in one place.( a very good thing)

Most of these I have already seen, maybe I should spend less time on youtube and more in the forge, but it sure is nice to have them translated now for easy viewing.

Btw Northmen is the new name of what was John Neeman tools, a fantastic company based in Latvia that makes stunning woodworking tools and gives classes, well worth a follow on your social media of choice.

Excellent channel, some other good videos on there as well.

I have watched several of these type video's on Youtube and they are well worth the time to watch. There is one somewhere of an old Indian building a birch bark canoe, from the frame up. That one was very interesting as well!!

That couple are both Craftsmen at their trade! My Grandson is asleep so I watched with the audio off. So any misinformation didn't bother me! My eyes saw great deal of skill and time practised movements. You could see that they knew exactly what each move was to take it thru thru the various stages to completion!!

One thing that did surprise me in a way was the placing of the Popular pieces. I would have thought they might individually have to be drilled or that they needed to be epoxied together as they were stacked. However in the end they showed there was no need for either!!

I love how they did the rings with about as simple as you could ask for in the way off equipment! The wood piece he had made so he could bear down on the blade as the edge is being roughed in!! Slow and steady and a beautifully completed puko and sheath! Very good video!!