Wes Detrick

Oregon Knife Show - April 7th and 8th

Oregon Knife Show is coming up in a few months.  I will be there wondering around.  If you see me (I have the long gray beard and no head hair. I'm hard to miss) , please stop me and say hello.

Where:  The Exhibit Hall in the Lane County Events Center and Fair Grounds, Eugene, Oregon

Dates: April 07 - 08, 2018

Times: Saturday 8 am - 5 pm - Sunday 9 am - 3 pm

Admission: General admission $6.00/day

OKCA Members free

Members only day on Friday April 06

Free demonstrations on Saturday

Here you go, some pictures of the knife show, which was great by the way.  All of the work was crazy impressive.  Everyone was great and super nice which made me feel really good about our little knife making community.

Probably most exciting for me was getting to meet and talk to @Raymond Richard  He is one of my favorite makers, if not my favorite.

raymond.jpg

Blair Todd of BTodd Knives

btodd.jpg

Our own @Geoff Keyes

geoff.jpg

My friend Hazel Margaretes of Sideros Designs

hmarg.jpg

@Salem Straub

salemstraub.jpg

@jeremy spake

jspake.jpg

Joe Edson and wife of Edson Razors

joeedson.jpg

Mike Clark and his wife of A and M Knives

mikeclark.jpg

And finally Sterling Radda

sterling rada.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a good event!  Thanks for posting pics, it's nice to see folks in their element.

Thanks for the candid pics of the show, Wes.  Did you get any pics of  the award winning knives?

Edited by Gary Mulkey

6 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Thanks for the candid pics of the show, Wes.  Did you get any pics of  the award winning knives?

Gary, I did win "best fighter" at the show. Its the second "S" guard down from my left hand. Now your probably looking at the photo of me thinking I have a rather larger belly but that's actually a money belt. I'll post a photo of the fighter before it had won although my home grown photo's aren't very good. I actually did a mustard patina on this knife after this photo was taken. 

I've got to admit I have never seen so many people at a knife show on Saturday. Had one knife sale on Saturday and nothing Sunday but as usual right at the end of the show I had my best sale ever.

Wes, nice job on the photos and it was good meeting you....

IMG_0543.jpg

I also really admire Raymond Richard's work....any idea who was seated behind him? Were those stones for sale on that table? Great pictures of some great craftsmen; someday i would like to make it to that event.

2 hours ago, Raymond Richard said:

Gary, I did win "best fighter" at the show. Its the second "S" guard down from my left hand. Now your probably looking at the photo of me thinking I have a rather larger belly but that's actually a money belt. I'll post a photo of the fighter before it had won although my home grown photo's aren't very good. I actually did a mustard patina on this knife after this photo was taken. 

I've got to admit I have never seen so many people at a knife show on Saturday. Had one knife sale on Saturday and nothing Sunday but as usual right at the end of the show I had my best sale ever.

IMG_0543.jpg

Thanks Ray & Congratulations.

10 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

I wish I had thought of that when I was there.  Like Mr Richard said above, he won the Best Fighter and I know that Rome Hutchings won Best New Maker with this beautiful feather pattern kitchen knife. Mike Clark above won Best Hand Forged Knife for a kukri he did.  I got to pick up and handle both Mr Richard's fighter, and Mike's kukri, and both deserved the awards.  They were gorgeous.

There were plenty of wood vendors there, and i was hoping for a few tool vendors, but alas, it wasn't so.  There was someone selling steel, another selling leather, and someone selling mosaic pin stock.  Maybe I missed some others.  I bought some wood, because I have an addiction.  It was super crowded on Saturday, but totally worth.

3 hours ago, Raymond Richard said:

Thank you Mr. Richard, the pleasure was all mine.  Thank you for taking the time to talk to me and let me handle your knives.  I am glad that you made some great sales! 

17 hours ago, SteveShimanek said:

I also really admire Raymond Richard's work....any idea who was seated behind him? Were those stones for sale on that table? Great pictures of some great craftsmen; someday i would like to make it to that event.

Steve, Chuck Richards is seated behind me. He's the owner of Woodchuck Forge out of Salem, Oregon. He just got into selling handle material.

Been waiting to get the picture of this fighter that was taken professionally, not sure by who but it was taken at the show. It got a little mustard on it while l was eating a hot dog......

AZ4A7709FightingKnife.jpg