https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/d/anvil/6496160393.html

These are made of h13 tool steel same as rhino anvils. 200 and 400 pounders coming soon. Made here in west michigan. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

h13 tool steel same as rhino anvils

Rhinos are a tool steel that is through hardened (air hardening), but it definitely is not H13.  Proprietary custom blend.  

2 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

Rhinos are a tool steel that is through hardened (air hardening), but it definitely is not H13.  Proprietary custom blend.  

S%$+ SORRY jerrod im glad you are here to correct me...it is hoffmans forge anvils that are h13!!! :wacko:

I have to agree with you there. I am tired of looking at them myself. But it is nice to see the made close to home. Maybe the 200 or 400lbers will be a double pike.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
37 minutes ago, Sam Salvati said:

What is a double pike?

Top right anvil of this old ad.

5675e9e422f93_anviladMouseholeForge.jpg.20fd61841dd7c568b62cf78d13c31ccb (1).jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 10:22 PM, Sam Salvati said:

Yawn another London pattern. 

I talked to the owner of the foundry that makes these anvils. He is a member of iforgeiron.com and i guess he is casting a 400lb double horn this week. I figured it would wake you up a litte bit Sam.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • 1 month later...

@Here is the first 450 lb double horn that holland alloys has cast. And they have a 190 lb and 85 lb single horn also.IMG_20180504_082926948.thumb.jpg.2cc15914edddb90a18f7f80ead380fca.jpgIMG_20180504_082900761_LL.thumb.jpg.3ad3d67da866a52be093bd9a3a157b6d.jpg

Here is the 190 lb.00505_1Vio0ZUAGCL_600x450.jpg

And the 85 lb00T0T_7Ll2eH4qYcC_600x450.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • 6 months later...

225 lb Sawyers anvil

FB_IMG_1543769931527.jpg 

135 lb London pattern

FB_IMG_1543769950014.jpg

These 2 are rough cast and still need milled and cleaned up. I believe he is making a 225 lb double horn. And 2 different swage blocks one with depressions for bowls and spoons and another with round, square, and rectangular holes. I will see if I can find a picture of the swage blocks. I have talked with him on a number of occasions and he is a super nice guy. I'm hoping he will make a larger L shaped swage block 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

That is one thing I could probably definitely use is a swagee block lol.  

Edited by AndyB

Are the swage blocks H13 as well?  If so, what does he want for the one with the spoon depressions?  Mine that looks similar is cast ductile iron and is easy to dent.

Man, I hate Facebook...  I'm not a member and will not be a member,  plus I can't access it (or Ebay, or Craigslist, or any other site that's considered a time-suck or shopping site) from work.  From what little I could see, though they're probably H13.  

I do like those 450 lb double-horns with the side shelf, though.

Alan, all anvil models he makes are H13, all swage blocks are ductile iron.

They considered making more expensive run of swage blocks out of heat treated H13 but when he asked over at iforgeiron.com all responses were that they wouldn’t pay the extra. If you and others wanted them you could see if you could do a group buy and pay up front or at least a deposit. He appears to be a totally stand up guy and quality driven, when someone once recommended that he take a short cut he didn’t like he essentially said “nope, my name will be on that forever”.

Edited by Steve O

Thanks, Steve!

I doubt there'd be enough demand for a heat-treated H13 swage block, though.  I'm one of the few people nuts enough to want one. :lol:  And I don't even need one!

I would be willing to buy one in H13 also. I'm sure he would cast them during a run with the anvils. I believe the ductile iron is a little over $200.