The Golden Seax (WIP)

Collin Miller

5 hours ago, Jon Cook said:

Width at the break is .4" off against the handle when using 3 significant digits.

thickness is pretty close with height at 3 significant digits as well. 

That's pretty interesting! Thanks for doing that math for me. Could you explain the significant digits a bit? Not sure I'm quite up to speed on that one :lol:

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I smell smoke!  How goes the sheath and fittings?

Really making me work for that flame, huh? :lol: Been working on the sheath all day, actually.

I like my sheaths to have a "well tailored" kind of look that fits tightly to the seax, so I spent a lot of time wrestling with it in the clamps and pulling everything tight, making my hands tired and sore. After a couple hours of that, I started decorating it while it was still soft, going for some Anglo Saxon looking geometric designs tooled onto the leather. The metal fittings and rivets will be copper :D

Sorry for the poor photos, doing all of this on the kitchen table so it doesn't get too dirty. 

20180301_160533.jpg

20180301_214541.jpg

20180301_214616.jpg

• Like 1

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

12 hours ago, Jon Cook said:

@Collin Miller according to Google,  the golden ratio is 1.6180339875. Rather than type that in 30 or so times, I just cut it back to 3 decimal places at 1.618 and called it close enough. 

Ahh gotcha! Thanks. 

Some more work and better pics of the sheath! Using some of @GEzells and @Emiliano Carrillo's sheaths for inspiration... Now I've just got to make the copper hardware :D

IMG_20180302_174529_117.jpg

IMG_20180302_174529_123.jpg

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Aaaand here it is! I actually finished this in the middle of the night on Saturday, but at any rate, here you go :lol: I'm going to use the caption/statement I wrote for my Instagram page, since I think it best expresses my thinking process, so if it sounds like I'm preaching to a slightly less educated congregation here, that's why.

The Angle Saxon style geometric carvings are representative of my progress as a bladesmith and as a person. At the base of the blade, the design starts off as simple, and a small bit of detail is added in each square. By the end, all of the small changes add up to a totally different and complex design, then simplifying again before it terminates.

To me, the sheath is much more than an afterthought. It's half of the complete whole which makes up this ancient tool/weapon system. The seax and its sheath are like a husband and wife, in a way. Icelandic sagas imply that in their culture, you would be better off with no sword at all than a sword with no scabbard. This sheath is tailor made for this particular seax. The sheath would be useless on any other blade, just as the blade would destroy any other sheath it was kept in due to improper fit.

No dyes or forced patinas were used on this piece. I'm playing the long con and allowing the natural patina to develop in the leather, copper, and maple over time.

28685988_989093911238155_3577051404960792576_n.jpg

28782675_989093964571483_4558520404976599040_n.jpg

All of the copper hardware, I hand forged. The rivets, rings, everything :)

28661245_989094011238145_8565970005928181760_n.jpg

28795250_989093934571486_2835200030548164608_n.jpg

Edited by Collin Miller
I accidentally a word
  • Like 4

Bitchin job man !!!!      B)

Edited by Clifford Brewer
  • Like 1

If ya can't be good don't git caught  !!                                        People who say stuff can't be done need to

git the hell outta the way of people who do stuff   !!!

Show me a man who is called an expert by his peers         

And I will show you a good man to listen to ......

Show me a man who calls himself an expert

and I will show you an egotistical asshole...............!!

6 hours ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Bitchin job man !!!!      B)

Thanks dude! 

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

And with that I hereby nominate you for a Fiery Beard!  Do I hear a second from any other beards?

I'll second that.  Excellent work man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Flame on !!!!!!........:D

• Like 1

If ya can't be good don't git caught  !!                                        People who say stuff can't be done need to

git the hell outta the way of people who do stuff   !!!

Show me a man who is called an expert by his peers         

And I will show you a good man to listen to ......

Show me a man who calls himself an expert

and I will show you an egotistical asshole...............!!

Thanks so much guys! The fiery beard, even though it's kinda tongue in cheek, has been a goal of mine for years, so it feels great to be a part of the group :D

So how's this work? Should I post a pic of my ugly face on here to it get all fired up? :lol:

Edited by Collin Miller

Congrats Collin!

• Like 1

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

9 hours ago, Collin Miller said:

Thanks so much guys! The fiery beard, even though it's kinda tongue in cheek, has been a goal of mine for years, so it feels great to be a part of the group :D

So how's this work? Should I post a pic of my ugly face on here to it get all fired up? :lol:

You can do it yourself, or I can do it, whichever floats your boat.  Congratulations on a job well done!

• Like 1

Thanks guys :D

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

You can do it yourself, or I can do it, whichever floats your boat.  Congratulations on a job well done!

Thanks! I'll let you do it. Out of all the things that don't exist, my photoshop skills don't exist the most ;)

Hope this one will work. Thanks again! :D

25626996_949397501874463_5198810607443064958_o (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

So I worked through lunch, but here you go!

Original:

CollinFlames.jpg

And avatar-sized:

CollinFlamesAvatar.jpg

What say you?

I'll take it! Haha, thanks to @Wes Detrick, I now know that I'm Dave Mustaine's young doppelganger. 

74714727.jpg

Thanks again Alan! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh my gosh, you are :lol: That's awesome! Congrats dude! You earned it!

By the way "Sweating Bullets" by Megadeth is my favorite! I enjoy the lyrics. "Hello me, it's me agian. It's been nice talkin to myself". I was thinking if you listened to it it would be kind of funny. You would be listening to your doppelganger self talk to his alter ego self lol :lol:

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Oh my gosh, you are :lol: That's awesome! Congrats dude! You earned it!

By the way "Sweating Bullets" by Megadeth is my favorite! I enjoy the lyrics. "Hello me, it's me agian. It's been nice talkin to myself". I was thinking if you listened to it it would be kind of funny. You would be listening to your doppelganger self talk to his alter ego self lol :lol:

I love that song! Rock to me is kind of like pizza. Even if it's a bad pizza, you still like it. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000's, classic rock, punk rock, metal, grunge, folk, shock rock, emo, industrial, I love all of it :D.  Never thought about the song in that context though :lol: 

The lyrics are already so relatable to me. If I had a dime for everyone who asks me "are you just antisocial?"...

...I've taken to simply responding, "It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy spending their entire day in a dirty shop by themself for less than $10 an hour." haha

Edited by Collin Miller
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

We're not antisocial so much as total introverts.  Or as Bob Dylan once said when somebody asked him why he was so reclusive, "I'm not REclusive, I'm EXclusive."  B)

I like that. I'm gonna start using that. Normally I just answer:

"I'm actually quite sociable. I just prefer to socialize with the one person who makes any sense" (myself ^_^).

16 hours ago, Collin Miller said:

I love that song! Rock to me is kind of like pizza. Even if it's a bad pizza, you still like it. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000's, classic rock, punk rock, metal, grunge, folk, shock rock, emo, industrial, I love all of it :D.

I can agree on the pizza. I lived on my own for a good while, and burned every pizza I ever made in my oven... Ketchup was my best freind :lol: 

Not so sure I can agree on all rock is good. Most yeah, but when I listen to this modern thrash; (scientific name: Thrashius Modernus) bands like Havoc, or Nuke the Cross I just can't get into it. Also, the new Megadeath I genuinely gave my best effort to like it, but just couldn't. As far as I'm concerned "Evile" is carrying that genre back out of it's grave. 

Another thing that I have tried to like is Progressive metal. Bands Like Ne Obliviscaris I think are really good sometimes, but when the guy in the background breaks the lulling sounds of that violin with his horribly growly voice it just kills whatever feeling I got from the song. Apocalyptica is definitely my favorite prog metal band (all cello instrumental band)(accept for their latest album), but the 15 minute long song "Exist" off of Avenged Sevenfold's new prog album "The stage" is also high on the list. 

I seriously long for a revival on the thrash front lol. 

• Like 1