• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Dan Hurtado

Wiring a kiln

I recently purchased a used Evenheat 22.5 kiln. It comes with a NEMA 6-20 plug. I have a NEMA 10-50 outlet in my shop for my welder. Any concerns with making an adapter cable to plug the kiln into the 10-50 outlet? I won't have the security of a 20A breaker but, I'll only be using the kiln occasionally. Thoughts? Thanks! 

The way I generally get around this is to build an adapter box that is basically just a small breaker box, with one breaker in it.  It has a lead that plugs into the 50A service in the wall, which feeds to the breaker (20A in this case, mine are generally 30A), which leads out to an outlet that you need.  I have done this for hard-wiring (meaning I don't have a separate outlet coming from the box, but that is very doable) my hydraulic press, belt grinder, and air compressor.  Works well, plenty safe, fairly cheap.  

• Thanks 1

I just made up an adapter cable. It's an older, pre-digital oven but it goes from room temp to 1400F in 30 minutes. Not bad for a less-than $400 investment (including the cable!)