Aiden CC

Getting into Metallography

On 4/2/2018 at 1:43 PM, Aiden CC said:

mixture of work and air hardening

Work hardening won't produce bainite, as far as I know.  Work hardening (in a steel like this, things change with manganese steel and other odd things) generally works by stressing the crystal lattice, even to the point of forming new grains, but won't actually cause a phase change.  Even when you can cause a phase change via work hardening, bainite is probably the least likely to form.  I'd definitely say that is from the cooling rate.  

35 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

Work hardening won't produce bainite, as far as I know.  Work hardening (in a steel like this, things change with manganese steel and other odd things) generally works by stressing the crystal lattice, even to the point of forming new grains, but won't actually cause a phase change.  Even when you can cause a phase change via work hardening, bainite is probably the least likely to form.  I'd definitely say that is from the cooling rate.  

Yeah, the professor I talked to explained the difference between the eutectic temperature and the recrystalization temperature, and suggested that the the anvil acting as a heat sink, rather than the hammer blows, is what caused the formation of martensite and bainite. I may try deforming some cold steel to get a better look at work hardening, though I guess I could also heat it below the recrystalization temperature to make it softer without allowing the formation of new defect-free grains.

You might also enjoy looking at a piece that you do a sub-critical anneal on.  Very handy thing to do on alloys that tend to get some air hardening.  

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

You might also enjoy looking at a piece that you do a sub-critical anneal on.  Very handy thing to do on alloys that tend to get some air hardening.  

I actually have an O1 blade that broke while I was working on it before heat treat (into three pieces, like spaghetti) I was planning on taking a look at. Depending on what it looks like, it could be a good piece for a sub-critical anneal.

Edited by Aiden CC