DanielQ

Pattern welded ruler with silver and copper inlays.

Hello again!

Had a thin piece of pattern welded steel that was up to no good, so I figured I'd set it straight.

Not much else to be said, did some silver inlay for every fifth millimeter, and the numbers and grades in between are all copper for better contrast. Lightly etched and then waxed.

Presto! :D

Hope you all like it :)

20180224_152047.jpg

20180224_152146.jpg

• Like 1

Looks too good to be real.

Not saying it is not real...just so clean and crisp.

Ric

Wow!

How in the world did you do the layout for marks. That much precision is hard to do and complete!! Being of just a hair multiplies the further you go out!! My eyes are not as good as they use to be and it irritates me to no end when I am laying something complicated out and go back to find, one mark has thrown the whole thing off!!

Then again I am not an engraver. The rule is really outstanding!!

2 hours ago, Richard Furrer said:

Looks too good to be real.

Not saying it is not real...just so clean and crisp.

Ric

Thanks alot Richard, that means a lot coming from a craftsman as skilled as you :-). Your forgings give me the same feeling..

2 hours ago, C Craft said:

Wow!

How in the world did you do the layout for marks. That much precision is hard to do and complete!! Being of just a hair multiplies the further you go out!! My eyes are not as good as they use to be and it irritates me to no end when I am laying something complicated out and go back to find, one mark has thrown the whole thing off!!

Then again I am not an engraver. The rule is really outstanding!!

Thanks Mr Craft! I just did a transfer from a laser printer. BUT, if I would do it again I would actually step it out by hand. I am quite certain I can reach higher precision that way. Like you said, every hair your off, throws off the end mark with an incredible amount. But that can be used to your advantage :).

As a treat, here is a few WIP-pictures.

The last one, features the conture-lines I cut around all inlays. With a strand of hair as a reference for the size. Picture was taken at 20x :)

20180218_180714.jpg

20180217_171519.jpg

20180224_103341.jpg

• Like 3

Wow,  coolest thing  I've seen in a while. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the process shots.

DanielQ wrote :"Thanks alot Richard, that means a lot coming from a craftsman as skilled as you :-). Your forgings give me the same feeling.."

surely not my forgings Daniel....I measure in finger widths and leave something like 1mm to 200mm of raw forging to remove...think hot marble.

My first thought on your work was :

He acid etched a fake damascus pattern on a laser cut ruler.

Then I figured you had laser cut the lines and numbers and plated the copper and the silver on a damascus ruller.

Then I thought "Gee, I hope he did not hand cut and inlay that because I would have to quit for the day and go drinking"....just to settle my nerves.

I had thought about making a 1700's cabinet makers chest of tools from shear steel...complete with ruler. What you did here is one step better in concept and since mine is a thought and your is a reality...you will in execution as well.

People like you keep me up at night.

Ric

• Like 1

That's awesome....

And yes, a little insane.... But in a good way.

"Sanity" is an artificial crutch used by the reality-dependent.

• Haha 1

Daniel, that looks hideous, absolutely horrible! I am going to do you a favor and send you my address to ship it to me so I can use it and give you feedback to make the next one perfect. ;) 

10 hours ago, Richard Furrer said:

I had thought about making a 1700's cabinet makers chest of tools from shear steel...complete with ruler. What you did here is one step better in concept and since mine is a thought and your is a reality...you will in execution as well.

People like you keep me up at night.

Ric

Hahah! Wait until you see the vernier calipers! ;)

...That's what I'd like to say anyway, but the nonie scale has me quite stumped. And getting the layout to harmonize with the construction would be ALOT more difficult. So it'll stay as a thought experiment a while longer I'd guess. But it would be so cool to have matching measuring instruments :)

But I love your idea of the cabinet makers chest. I've been going around with similar thoughts myself. To replicate one of my great-grandfathers toolchests, but with a personal twist. Would be such an educational experience!

And thanks everyone for the kind words. But I actually don't think I'm insane, I just got some odd quirks in my mentality. And one of the voices in my head got bad breath and slight OCD. ;D

//Daniel

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DanielQ said:

And thanks everyone for the kind words. But I actually don't think I'm insane, I just got some odd quirks in my mentality. And one of the voices in my head got bad breath and slight OCD. ;D

LO  FRIGGEN  L ...!!!!!!!!:D

I realize I'm late to the party and resurrecting an old thread, but holy cow well done. I got physically anxious looking at those pics. I'm still learning engraving and slip all the time... ide have needed a 4 pound valium to try this.

I missed this thread when it was originally posted; I am glad it was resurrected, as this is epic work! Just wow.

My first "see" of it as well and the skill level is amazing. But then the mind that would conceive of then execute this may not live in our reality.

OH wow...I love it..something about the ridiculously made mundane object really does it for me...

I thought Howard Clarks damascus potato peeler was awesome but this takes the biscuit.

I really love this, I've been doing some silver inlay for a commission project recently and I really can't imagine doing such precise closely spaced lines.:blink:

I really enjoy seeing damascus object that are not knives, I even made a damascus cake server once.

Missed this......thanks for digging it up!