Zeb Camper

Would you buy this anvil?

This is a 100lb Fisher anvil in almost perfect condition. He's selling for $500. $5 a pound. 

IMG950522.jpg

IMG950524.jpg

IMG950523.jpg

In that condition, yes.  If you decide not to buy, I would like it.  You're only an 1 1/2 hours away from me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gerald Boggs said:

In that condition, yes.  If you decide not to buy, I would like it.  You're only an 1 1/2 hours away from me.

I didn't want the deal to get away from me, so I told him I would buy it. I'm supposed to meet him tomarrow.

If you can convince me that I should pay $100 more for a brand new 110 lbs Kanka, its all yours. I've almost talked myself into it. 

Edited by Zeb Camper

Its made by the same people who make peddinghaus anvils. Same steel, process and general shape, but the peddinghaus has a horn that sits below the face, and has more weight in the feet, and generally they look better, and look to have a better finish. So, the Kanka is like the uglier economy version. It may actually be spelled "Kanca".

Or, I could get a new 100 lb tfs anvil for $600. Shipped for $12. With about $30 tax....$642..... I hate decisions lol. 

Old beats new any day when it comes to anvils.  It may be a little steep, but Fishers are top of the line.

The old beats new theory is the reason i didn't buy a new anvil. I am still skeptical about a nimba. I might save and have a pattern made and have Jerrod Miller work his magic and then i can have the anvil i want and it will be through hardened. Maybe get them to temper it on the hard side. I really want it around 57-60 HRc. Even if the edges chip thats how i want my anvil. At least if i did it that way i have a one of a kind cutlers anvil and the pattern hanging on the wall.

Alright guys, thanks for the input. I'm just gonna go with my gut and get the Fisher. I think I'm doing the right thing I hope anyway. The TFS anvil had more weight under the face, but since you guys (who are more experienced) like this anvil, I'll just go with it. 

For those who may be interested, centuar forge has $12 shipping on anvils under 150 lbs. They sell the TFS, and Kanca, plus a few others for around $600. 

Just now, Gerald Boggs said:

I didn't say I liked it, I just said I'd like to buy it.

Not the same thing? Just wanted to do some flipping? 

Between the fisher, TFS, and kanca i would choose the fisher any day. The TFS if i remember right is ductile iron so that gets thrown right out of the conversation the kanca is a bit harder but the fisher is in a slightly higher class. IMO

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

We'll, the Fisher looks top notch, and you won't need earplugs anymore :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I seriously considered the Kanca but i ended up buying an old English wrought iron "cutlers" anvil that is over a thousand miles away and im traveling through part of canada into upstate New York over to new hampshire to get it. And i have to wait a month before i can go get it. If that says anything of what i have began to think of newer anvils. I personally think it is worth buying an old anvil over new.

• Like 1

Your pretty hardcore Jeremy :lol: I hate driving. I thought the TFS was ductile with a hard steel face. The fisher is cast with a hard steel face. 

No they dont steel face anvils anymore. That ended when fisher and vulcan stopped making anvils. TFS, Emerson, and scott are heat treated ductile iron.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • Like 1

Doesn't matter anyway. I decided on the Fisher. If I decide it's not the right anvil for me I can probably sell it for $600. 

Yeah they are fairly hard but will dent with the right missed hammer strike. Forged in fire uses emerson 200lb so they have to be ok but my vulcan wont dent with an errant hammer strike. But the edges chip like no other. Either way you look at it the tool will take some damage. I guess it all depends where you can accept the damage.

Its a good investment for sure...i think you will love it!!!

Im not sure wjat my vulcan is for hardness. Im assuming upper 50's maybe 60HRc