Zeb Camper

Would you buy this anvil?

I cant wait to see pictures.

Posted (edited)

Oh yeah now you have 221 little green thingies next to your profile name!

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

"Green thingies"?

See your Doctor first thing Monday. They have some stuff that'll clear that right up.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well, I got back up there, and bought the anvil. The woman who sold it to me had a son that wanted to start bladesmithing. We talked for a short while, and then I headed back home with the big girl in the back. When I got home I realized a big crack going right along the top of the anvil. Under closer inspection the top had been stickwelded on. 

I called the lady back and asked if I could return it. She said "normally not, but thats a lot of money if you bring it back quick..."I loaded another anvil of mine that I got for $50 and jumped back in the truck and headed north. 

I got there, pointed it out, and gave the other $50 anvil to her son who was super stoked about that. Got my money back, and am back to square one. :lol:

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

When I got home I realized a big crack going right along the top of the anvil. Under closer inspection the top had been stickwelded 

Did the crack go straight accross the top or length wise?

40 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Did the crack go straight accross the top or length wise?

Parallel to the face. 

1 hour ago, Joël Mercier said:

I'm not going to make any more anvil deals unless I see it in person first. Too much risk. Inspections will be much more intensive in the future. 

For that price it would be worth it. 

13 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I'm not going to make any more anvil deals unless I see it in person first. Too much risk. Inspections will be much more intensive in the future. 

Speaking of inspections, did you ring it before you loaded it up?  If it had a good ring the "crack" may have just been a weld line from plating the anvil.  If it really was an arc weld of a detached face it would not ring clearly.  It would thunk, rattle, or buzz.  

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Speaking of inspections, did you ring it before you loaded it up?  If it had a good ring the "crack" may have just been a weld line from plating the anvil.  If it really was an arc weld of a detached face it would not ring clearly.  It would thunk, rattle, or buzz.  

I did check for rebound, but probably too gently to hear any rattling. 

The crack looked really deep and You could tell it was an arch weld just because it had a slag inclusion, and a bead sized line all the way around the top that was rusting differently than the rest. The top 2" off the anvil was ground somewhat recently (I thought the face was just dressed) there was evedence of welding on the inside of the hardy too. 

Im guessing someone thought the weld line was the top coming loose and thought they were doing good by "trying to secure" the top on the anvil. The only reason i say that is because it was all the way around. Unless someone was repairing chipped edges but you hardly ever see that around the heal.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Im guessing someone thought the weld line was the top coming loose and thought they were doing good by "trying to secure" the top on the anvil. The only reason i say that is because it was all the way around. Unless someone was repairing chipped edges but you hardly ever see that around the heal.

It looked like they tried to weld a brand new plate on top. I couldn't believe I missed it. 

Posted (edited)

I could buy this 150 pound colonial. It's in pretty good shape. He wants  $450. 

Here's the one I paid $50 for. The one I just gave to that kid. It was about a 200 lb mousehole (sitting on my 100lb mousehole). The rebound of it was incredible. 

IMG950860.jpg

20180310_172929.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper

Is that the seat (gray) of your highly techinical manual abrasive wheel device ?

11 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Is that the seat (gray) of your highly techinical manual abrasive wheel device ?

No, that belongs to the good fellow who owns that anvil. I want one of those bad though. I have several stone wheels, but haven't made a treadle rig for any yet.

I would jump on that anvil, but I want a user. You could dress that one, but I look at it as a piece of history. 

I really like the colonial patterns. I just bought one. I have to go get it the weekend of April 12th. I am still debating if i wanna use it. Here is a picture of it if you didnt see it it my cutlers anvil thread.

00a0a_dLHeRl6I5jm_600x450.jpg.df052776bf3633434a5ca2fd899adbd6.jpg

• Like 1

450 lb Fisher. Fair game to anyone who wants it: in Goodview Va. 

Screenshot_2018-03-14-21-03-10.png

This is a very nice anvil. If i had $2200 i would buy it.

Posted (edited)

Im not sure about everyone else but i think this topic should get pinned! It gives everyone who is considering an anvil to get input without having to start a new topic.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm