Florian F Fortner

How to mount this anvil?

Hey guys,

I got a really nice anvil, which I don't know the exact english term of, yet no clue on how to best mount it (see pic). It seems like it is good old quality stuff. Should I put it into a huge log, a big disc of wood mounted on a heavy steel plate? I don't want it to fall over and still be a little bit movable. Anything to improve hammering noise? 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

The anvil is about 2 1/2 feet tall, 2 feet across the horns and weighs an estimated 60 pounds.

P1070887.JPG

It is designed to be driven into a log. I would suggest drilling a slightly unersized hole and driving it in. 

That's a really nice stake anvil, also known as a bickern or bick iron.  Given that the peg is round and not tapered, I'd do what Zeb suggests.  Maybe band the top of the log so it can't split?

Here is a commercially made stand for one: https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/products/anvils-vises/anvil-stand-bickern.html

Thanks guys! So a big log is what I'm going to get! Banding the top is probably a good idea, for a start a strong tension belt will do. Together with the just finished propane forge this will be my entry point into proper hot work (mostly plate armour though) :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is a very nice find. I would like to have one for an addition to my shop. Mainly because im becoming obsessed with anvils. :wacko:

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I am guessing that since it has a round 'stem" it probably fit into a stake plate of some kind, perhaps one that clamped the stem to prevent the anvil from twisting around.  I have a similar one but it had a tapered spike for a stem.  I drilled several holes into a big oak block to create a tapered hole and then glued it in with epoxy putty.

9 hours ago, Florian F Fortner said:

(mostly plate armour though) :D

Ooh. I know this is bladesmiths forum but I think we need info on what our historical blades would have had to face up to (just thought of that excuse ;)). Any chance for some WIPs?. I have this book on the shelf which I swear I’m going to put to use one day.

23 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Ooh. I know this is bladesmiths forum but I think we need info on what our historical blades would have had to face up to (just thought of that excuse ;)). Any chance for some WIPs?. I have this book on the shelf which I swear I’m going to put to use one day.

100% agree (including having that same book on my shelf)!

It is a work in progress and will take some time before there will be visible results... :P First project are articulated gauntlets. If it is not too off topic I will certainly post some pictures. Apart from that I can really, really recommend this forum: http://forums.armourarchive.org/ It is the equivalent of bladesmithsforum for armour!!

Thanks Florian. I’ll pay a visit (seems I have to travel from www... to make the forum work). I for one wouldn’t mind the WIP here.

I agree and im sure a dozen other people would agree this WIP is more than welcome here.

On 3/6/2018 at 5:35 AM, Florian F Fortner said:

Apart from that I can really, really recommend this forum: http://forums.armourarchive.org/ It is the equivalent of bladesmithsforum for armour!!

I just tried going to this forum and it brought me to a blank white page. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you Geoff!

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2018 at 9:19 AM, Florian F Fortner said:

Hey guys,

I got a really nice anvil, which I don't know the exact english term of, yet no clue on how to best mount it (see pic). It seems like it is good old quality stuff. Should I put it into a huge log, a big disc of wood mounted on a heavy steel plate? I don't want it to fall over and still be a little bit movable. Anything to improve hammering noise? 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

The anvil is about 2 1/2 feet tall, 2 feet across the horns and weighs an estimated 60 pounds.

P1070887.JPG

Back in my Voc/Tech college we had a tinsmith's table with various receivers for many differently shaped bickerns, I sure would like to find one now as it's one handy thing to have for many shaping needs ....

Edited by Clifford Brewer