10 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's why blacksmith shops often resemble goblin caves, it's not that we can't take the light, we just need to see the steel colors properly!  :lol:

Speak for yourself precious :D

• Haha 1

It is a bit glassy looking, and has that texture, I think like Alan suggested it's coming from some of the clay that ended up crumbling in my fire pot. I'm trying to get some pictures up, it's just greifing me now. I saw someone suggest a Dark box or something in another thread I'll probably fashion one of these so I don't have to run all the way to the shed... or maybe I'll just move a bit closer that way. As far as the cat sand I think I was using that same product, I'm probably going to clean it out and sift my ashes out and patch the areas with wetted wood ash and see how that works out. How feesable or terrible of an idea is that?

I'm not so sure about the photo hosting...  ;)

Charcoal can form a sort of slaggy stuff, depending on what it's in and what's around it.  When we smelt we typically lose a little furnace wall as slag.  A high-silica content in the clay (not just sand, SiO2, but other silicates like AlSi and BaSi) will do it quite a bit.