Sign in to follow this  
Vern Wimmer

A duel: thesaurus' at 12 paces

17 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Ok, so I thought dada was an anti-bourgeois form of art started after ww1. One that featured work more structured upon modern objects, or shapes reminiscent of such, and choppy lines that appeared to be somewhat nonsensical. Collages were huge back then.

Could we look at Anshelm Keifer's work and call it dada? It has the same industrial, sort of antiestablishmentarian, anti-war veiws. And yet it seems intirely different. Surely it does not fit, but why? Could you say he is a dada impressionist?

His works drip weight and meaning. Guernica would not be Dada, either. 

2 hours ago, Jon Cook said:

His works drip weight and meaning. Guernica would not be Dada, either. 

Oh I whole heartedly agree. I was trying to spark some conversation between you guys, but I hope I didn't kill it! 

8 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Oh I whole heartedly agree. I was trying to spark some conversation between you guys, but I hope I didn't kill it! 

Not at all. You gave us another point to discuss. Does Dada have gravitas?

I believe that answer is yes. Another artist of German/American decent I believe comes to mind. I cannot think of his name. It will come to me. I think... I can see the painting in my head. 

Posted (edited)

Mark Earnst. I'm not sure I spelled that right. Might not be mark. It's a picture of a mechanical type elephant with flying fish in the background and smoke trails and a faceless nude woman wearing a surgical glove. The woman seems to wave the elephant to follow. It has a very dark tone. I think perhaps he is portraying some views of warfare, but to be honest I am not sure how... Perhaps the elephant symbolises the war machine. Maybe the woman is the symbolic faceless mother of this beast. Her sergical glove seeks to improve it's deadlyness? The flying fish maybe symbolize planes, or just general mayhem. I cannot say for certain. I'll try to find a picture. 

Edited by Zeb Camper

And, to make my point clear: art typically has some inspiration that provides the artist his muse. It's never just nonsense. It's all about the raw emotions and feelings. A statement that they feel they have to make. 

On 3/10/2018 at 6:58 PM, Zeb Camper said:

And, to make my point clear: art typically has some inspiration that provides the artist his muse. It's never just nonsense. It's all about the raw emotions and feelings. A statement that they feel they have to make. 

John Cleese once told me (and a theater full of other people) that Monty Python was just an excuse to make "Silly Television"

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2018 at 5:30 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Mark Earnst. I'm not sure I spelled that right. Might not be mark. It's a picture of a mechanical type elephant with flying fish in the background and smoke trails and a faceless nude woman wearing a surgical glove. The woman seems to wave the elephant to follow. It has a very dark tone. I think perhaps he is portraying some views of warfare, but to be honest I am not sure how... Perhaps the elephant symbolises the war machine. Maybe the woman is the symbolic faceless mother of this beast. Her sergical glove seeks to improve it's deadlyness? The flying fish maybe symbolize planes, or just general mayhem. I cannot say for certain. I'll try to find a picture. 

I'd say it's a statement about the uselessness of using an elephant's butt as a barbeque in a nudist colony while a serial killer is running loose.

• Like 1

Still the world is wondrous large,—seven seas from marge to marge—
spacer.jpgAnd it holds a vast of various kinds of man;
And the wildest dreams of Kew are the facts of Khatmandhu
spacer.jpgAnd the crimes of Clapham chaste in Martaban.

Here's my wisdom for your use, as I learned it when the moose
spacer.jpgAnd the reindeer roamed where Paris roars to-night:—
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays,
spacer.jpg"And—every—single—one—of—them—is—right!"

-Kipling.

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

John Cleese once told me (and a theater full of other people) that Monty Python was just an excuse to make "Silly Television"

You mean sorta like a "comedy" :huh:

1 hour ago, Vern Wimmer said:

I'd say it's a statement about the uselessness of using an elephant's butt as a barbeque in a nudist colony while a serial killer is running loose.

This could very well be true :lol:

37 minutes ago, Al Massey said:

Still the world is wondrous large,—seven seas from marge to marge—
spacer.jpgAnd it holds a vast of various kinds of man;
And the wildest dreams of Kew are the facts of Khatmandhu
spacer.jpgAnd the crimes of Clapham chaste in Martaban.

Here's my wisdom for your use, as I learned it when the moose
spacer.jpgAnd the reindeer roamed where Paris roars to-night:—
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays,
spacer.jpg"And—every—single—one—of—them—is—right!"

-Kipling.

Right on mayne! 

4 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

You mean sorta like a "comedy" :huh:

Not just that. I was rebutting your comment "to make my point clear: art typically has some inspiration that provides the artist his muse. It's never just nonsense."

Sometimes "art" is just nonsense for the sake of being nonsense.

18 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Not just that. I was rebutting your comment "to make my point clear: art typically has some inspiration that provides the artist his muse. It's never just nonsense."

Sometimes "art" is just nonsense for the sake of being nonsense.

But silly television is meant to be silly, so that others may see it and get a chuckle, or an escape from the tight grip of reality right? So it was still inspired and made for a reason, though it has no central statement other than "dude, wouldn't it be funny if...".

When Bob Ross paints "happy little trees" he clearly appreciates the beauty of trees and the art of painting itself. 

I was mainly responding to Jon's question: can dada have a serious side? I really can't look at Mr. Ernst's painting and think "what a random painting!".

I will find a piece of my own "art" (history class scribblings) here in a minute. It likely won't prove a point, but it fits the theme well enough. 

Posted (edited)

If I could do a French accent in writing, I would say something like......

Eet izz more like Doo-doo than Dada

But only to make a joke. Nothing personal intended Zeb.

Edited by Joshua States

Posted (edited)

Yo

8 hours ago, Joshua States said:

If I could do a French accent in writing, I would say something like......

Eet izz more like Doo-doo than Dada

But only to make a joke. Nothing personal intended Zeb.

You got it!!! Notice how I put quotation around "art" when I posted it? I just scribbled this out in history class. It has no real meaning or intention behind it except to ease my boredom. Its just a big ol cluster ----. You can always spot a fake from the real thing.

That was my intention of posting that, but I think all you good hearted folk were too afraid to hurt my poor ol' feelings and say "don't quit your day job" :lol:.

I can draw well, but I draw without feeling. Anshelm Keifer's more impressionist works are technically not very real to life looking, but it is done to evoke a feeling and you can tell he meant for it to look that way. 

Edited by Zeb Camper