Sign in to follow this  
Caleb Harris

File Trade?

So I lucked out and bought a bunch of files from a retiring machinist. A bunch of old Nicholsons (used, but well taken care of), averaging about a foot in length and medium to coarse. I didn't get a date but I believe they're pretty old, back when Nicholson was one of the best. I've also got a few brand new unused Simonds; triangle and flats, averaging about 8", most are lathe files. I'll get more dimensions and specifics if y'all are interested. Note that the Simonds are practically perfect condition, wrapped in paper when I got them. The Nicholsons are used and were together in a box when I picked it up. There's a variety of cuts. 
I'm looking for good needle files (mostly for guard fits and the like), anyone happen to have extras they'd like to swap? I'm also looking for various tools and materials handy in this craft, just seeing what's out there (especially grinder wheels and attachments). Money's tight so I'm shooting for trades as much as possible

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 11.58.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 11.57.59 AM.png

Thanks all!

Caleb, sounds like you hit the lottery so to speak!! Listen not trying to be an a$$ but that piling of files is the worst thing you can do with a file. They are hard enough without much force you can chip the edge of one file with the other. The best way to store them is to hang them, so that they can't smack against one another.  In lieu of that I reverse them handle to blade and lay them on my work bench. That eats up a lot of space though. I have got to get busy and make a rack to hang them!

1 hour ago, C Craft said:

Caleb, sounds like you hit the lottery so to speak!! Listen not trying to be an a$$ but that piling of files is the worst thing you can do with a file. They are hard enough without much force you can chip the edge of one file with the other. The best way to store them is to hang them, so that they can't smack against one another.  In lieu of that I reverse them handle to blade and lay them on my work bench. That eats up a lot of space though. I have got to get busy and make a rack to hang them!

Yeah this is how I picked them up; already in the box tangled up like that. I gotta get a space before I can properly separate them so I'm keeping them where they are to keep from getting more jostled then they already are.