Knife sharpening charges ?

Vern Wimmer

I have recently (thanks to my wife's contacts) been flooded with requests for sharpening services.

I almost have to do this or SWMBO will be very unhappy, besides, side money without investment in materials is not to be sneezed at.

Given it is dependent on local economy I am thinking $3 per blade for standard kitchen knives.

Too high? Too low? What say the hive members ?

Edited by Vern Wimmer

This won't help at all, but I remember my grandfather, (who died ~ 1972), used to sharpen handsaws. He charged $0.50 per saw and never changed his price. We visited him once a year, and my dad would always ask if he had raised his price. The answer was always no.

standard way to do it is to charge at least your hourly rate....

I could not consider it at $3 a blade, how many can you do in a hour and how much do you charge an hour?

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

I love it when people tell me to make MORE money. Upon consideration I do have to account for the fact that, economically, we call this place "Appalachia with an ocean view" but if I can point out that elsewhere $10 is reasonable then $6-7 wouldn't be unreasonable here.

Actually great since sharpening services would justify a new toy...errrrr "TOOL" that I have my eye on for the making side of things.

The poor will never be a reliable source of work and most sharpen their own blades, but you have a population of wealthy retirees that have moved in.  That's your target market.    Remember, the poor have no money, the rich do,  base your market plan on that.

I've invested a bit over $200 in a Lansky over the past few months, more than half of that being the diamond stones I got last week.

For $3 I'd be willing to give a knife a few passes on the baby belt grinder, and a few minutes at the polisher removing the burr, nothing more, and definitely no shenanigans with the Lansky...

The ApostleP on Youtube seems to charge $20-$25 depending on the steel (I think).

A local sharpening service will come to you with all the tools in a van.  They charge $1 per inch.  That's not blade length, that's length of object.  And I did say object, they'll sharpen anything that can be sharpened.  If it's a mower blade you have to take it off first, but they'll do it.

5 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

The poor will never be a reliable source of work and most sharpen their own blades, but you have a population of wealthy retirees that have moved in.  That's your target market.    Remember, the poor have no money, the rich do,  base your market plan on that.

I am aware of that but the people that are asking are definately less than "rich". I was actually surprised by some who were asking. Most are locals. The wife and I don't much run in the same circles as the wealthy immigrants . None the less I take the point about their value as a target market. I don't really want to advertise particularly . Not needed in this community anyway. Once word gets to the Senior Center, VFW, Moose Lodge, 3 Volunteer FDs, I doubt that I'll have to target anyone.

It's just side money for the tool kitty or for extra materials here and there. I can see, however, if I am too low in pricing then "too much time for too little money" would be a severe problem. No point in doing it for less than I would make working on a knife, in fact, it should return a bit more since it interrupts the regular work.

(That also means a healthy profit margin at negligible investment) . 

16 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

A local sharpening service will come to you with all the tools in a van.  They charge $1 per inch.  That's not blade length, that's length of object.  And I did say object, they'll sharpen anything that can be sharpened.  If it's a mower blade you have to take it off first, but they'll do it.

That's my going rate for everything except machetes which are sharpened entirely on the belt grinder... Except I go by blade length.  Perhaps I should change that...

Edited by GEzell

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

• 1 month later...