Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard

Next chapter - my 2x72

Howdy

Just popped out from work to collect my belt grinder kit from the courier.

A friend with his own business helped me with the import, might have to pays some of the duties but that money is in reserve, otherwise bought and paid for! B)

I ended up getting a 1.5kW motor and a VSD, no idea whether it's actually a VFD as it should be, but no matter, I can run it from our standard 230V

I got a 250mm contact wheel for the 1x72 belts the South Africans seem to favour, and a platten attachment for the 2x72 belts

Need to weld the frame and assemble the machine, will be updating with photos over the coming days.

I'm truly thankful, it's 2 days short of 3 months later than I expected to have a machine, and I have to build it myself, but this is the last missing piece of the puzzle in "my shop"

It's not my shop.....

It's not "my" shop

It's not my "shop"

I have no shop to call my own, but I have this belt grinder, a drill press, a forge (or two) and a few other tools.

My hope and ambition is to find a better way to live and make a living for the last 2/3's of my life, and leave behind a few sharp things.

• Like 1

Congrats Gerhard. Really happy for you.

If you have the tools and can plug them in or fire them up then you have a "shop".

Various women in my life have mistakenly called them things like "garages" (which is actually an old Celtic term for "place to put table saw", ), "porches", "dining rooms" but in reality they were "shops".

• Haha 1

Various... was that sort of an exclusion criteria? If you get this wrong we’ll see if someone else can see it for what it is...

Experienced again over the weekend that I sleep best in a hammock, would really like a tin roof to keep the limited rain off and place for the hammock right next to it......

I've been renting flats my whole life, can't afford anything else, and I'm very lucky that at the current flat, first time ever,  I could get started and carry on with knife making, forge in my little piece of back yard and part use of the garage. This arrangement has an expiry date and I'm unlikely to get anything similar, or afford a place where I could carry on.

There is a possibility of partnering with my mentor, major life change (good thing), but I don't have capital..........

I was a bit overwhelmed yesterday, as far as I can see only the tensioner spring is missing from the kit, but if I knew what the building involved I'd  have paid the bit extra.....

Fortunately my friend with the engineering shop to the rescue on Saturday, I'll be doing the work just with supervision :P , he's also got substantially better welding equipment and skills.

Like I said slightly overwhelmed yesterday afternoon, will post some photos after work. 

There was a period of time when I was first out on my own, and renting a small apartment while looking for a first house to buy.  (Houses are cheap in Indiana)  My landlord also happened to be my realtor.  One day he stopped by to talk about house stuff, and he noticed that I had set up a machine lathe over a tarp in my bedroom.  I also had a carburetor half way assembled in the shower.  He shook his head, and just said "I have to find you a house fast!"

A shop is whereever you hang your tools :)

Appreciate the thought Brian, but accommodation is a struggle here, ownership is out of the question, and using any of my tools at previous flats would get me evicted 

IMG-20180313-WA0009[1].jpg

IMG-20180313-WA0011[1].jpg

IMG-20180313-WA0013[1].jpg

IMG-20180313-WA0015[1].jpg

IMG-20180313-WA0017[1].jpg

My brother-in-law made knives for years in his apartment spare bathroom. He covered the bath tub with plywood as his workbench for the grinder etc. He vented everything out the ceiling vent. You can imagine where he sat to work. It was HIS SHOP!

14 hours ago, Mike Johnston said:

My brother-in-law made knives for years in his apartment spare bathroom. He covered the bath tub with plywood as his workbench for the grinder etc. He vented everything out the ceiling vent. You can imagine where he sat to work. It was HIS SHOP!

Hi Mike (and Brian)

We have very few of what you would call apartment buildings, big country with few people so the cost of going multi-storey only recently started making sense.

Standard accommodation for people like me would be a backyard flat which is rather common, or more recently....if you can afford it.....a 2-bedroom place in a secure complex.

Our water and electricity is very expensive, so even if the noise was not an issue, I would not get away with half of what I need to do to make a knife.

That said..........you touch on a subject that is the rock upon which I break myself: MOTIVATION......

One FiF contestant told how he drives an hour to his shop after work, and an hour back home when done, and stories like that make me deeply ashamed.

In my own defense,  most of the time my day-job robs me of the will to live, when I have a few days off I sleep normally and work like a beast......

I haven't done anything significant in more than a month or 2 other than building the gas forge, either the day-job interferes with the weekend, illness or injury, and last weekend a camping/fishing trip.

Im kinda in the same boat. I live in an appartment complex, but i have a real shop at my mothers house. Me and my brothers and my dad (even though they are divorced) share the shop. My brothers dont have a whole lot of tools but they use it for storage for there stuff. I am in the process of adding on for my own personal work space. I have a 10 minute drive to my shop which isnt bad but when you have a lifted Chevy  suburban with a 454ci big block as your daily driver (8 mpg) it gets a little expensive going back and forth. I would rather be gas in a tank for my forge.

When my mother retired she was lucky enough to get a considerable separation package, she used some of this to build a flat in the backyard.

Good investment for her, my rent covers a big part of the monthly costs of the house, I get to have dogs and make knives.

If that hadn't happened, I wouldn't be here........and that for me is a very scary thought considering what I think are the good & worthwhile things in my life.

This grinder build thread has gone off the rails! :P 

And more good news!

While it has turned out the my country's independence (21st March) is not much for me to celebrate, next Wednesday is a public holiday and I have leave Monday and Tuesday.

I hope that starting Saturday morning first thing that gives me time to build the grinder and finish a knife a friend is anxiously waiting for. 

• Like 1

All welded and painted.............and running :D

The kit I bought is rather good I think, but the instructions suck, except for paint I spent a considerable amount of bolts & nuts & stuff, my biggest problem with that being a proper materials list would've save me a lot of time.....

I'll add some photos this afternoon....

I started assembling the machine (complete with still wet paint) 7am yesterday morning.......not easy to set up, especially the motor.  I do have a problem I'm a bit miffed about, I'll have to add or remove a washer between the frame and the tensioner arm depending on whether I'm using the 2x72 on the platten or the 1x72 on the big wheel.

Also not sure, if I'm sick, tired, or both.......I'm a bit overwhelmed for sure.......

I can adjust the VSD from 15-110, that seems to be frequency (as it should be), but I have no idea how that equates to speed and how to use it.

The arrival of the grinder also highlighted the issues in my shared work space.....living with a hoarder is hell, never mind a fire hazard.  

The VSD also needs to be protected from the dust & stuff, not sure how to do that affordably yet......

The two threads linked above have three ways of mounting a VFD in a dustproof enclosure for cheap.  Be sure to go to the end of both threads, and check out the two pics linked below:

http://matthewdwalker.com/visit_my_studio/vfd_protective_box.html#previous-photo

http://matthewdwalker.com/visit_my_studio/vfd_mounted_in_a_tool_box.html#previous-photo

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Gerhard said:

I can adjust the VSD from 15-110, that seems to be frequency (as it should be), but I have no idea how that equates to speed and how to use it.

The arrival of the grinder also highlighted the issues in my shared work space.....living with a hoarder is hell, never mind a fire hazard.  

The VSD also needs to be protected from the dust & stuff, not sure how to do that affordably yet......

Do you have 50 or 60 hz power in Namibia?  If it is 50, then a reading of 50 on your VFD would be the full rated RPM of the motor.  100 would be 200% of that. (At reduced torque)  This assumes that your display is actually in Hz.  Given those number, I think it may be in % of full speed so be careful.

Don't try to run the VFD without an enclosure.  I blew two of them up thinking I could get away with working on just one knife before I spend my time making a box.  A ziplock bag would probably cause the VFD to overheat.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Hi Brian

Our electricity supply is rated 220V 50-60Hz

My VSD is a Veichi ac70-s2-1r5g, it came hardwired with a switch that changes direction and a variable resistor to adjust speed.....long cables so for the testing I had the VSD away from the grinder.

I'm making wild guesses based on very basic knowledge. so I've emailed the supplier.  These are kits and the documentation is minimal.......

I figured it would overheat in a bag, can you please give me some indication on how to make an enclosure? Does it need a fan and air filters? 

Hi Gerhard,

I downloaded a manual for the drive.  Assuming I have the right manual, the maximum ambient operating temperature is 40C.  If I were in your position, I think I would just put it in a large metal box at first, and monitor the temperature inside.  If it stays below 40C, then you are good to go.  If it gets above that, then you'll have to consider a fan with a filter, but I don't think that is very likely.

Your display is capable of showing a number of different values depending on how you configure the unit.  The english translation for the manual is a bit rough, but as best as I can tell, the output frequency is the default setting.

It sounds like you are about to be up and grinding :)

Hi Brian

Sorry, I was a bit busy to reply properly. 

I checked out the manual as well, but it seems like the VSD was locked down somehow......I can press buttons till I'm blue and nothing much happens. :P

I did get an answer from the supplier with a very good chart to work out speed......will read up.

They also told me most people just mount the VSD on a wall a ways away from the machine, therefore the long'ish cables they supplied.  Considering my "shop" I want to get it some protection.

My main problem is with something in the vice and me busy with an angle grinder, everything gets covered in metal particals.

This is most of the tracking adjustment......only part included in the kit is the knob on top :P

20180319_113935.jpg

20180319_113946.jpg

20180319_113955.jpg

20180319_121858.jpg

Fortunately I have a friend who can weld.....apart from being a wizard on a milling machine & lathe

20180319_121905.jpg

20180319_121912.jpg

20180319_165106.jpg

20180319_165337.jpg

20180319_165348.jpg

Painting is not one of my strengths.......

20180320_114554.jpg

20180320_143146.jpg

20180320_143204.jpg

20180321_105510.jpg

20180321_105522.jpg

20180321_105538.jpg

Looking pretty sweet Gerhard. You excited yet?

I couldn't help but notice the drive wheel and idler wheel are topped with urethane.  Is that usual in SA?  Here we save the expensive stuff for the contact wheel and leave the other two wheels bare steel or aluminum.  Not saying it's a bad thing, since you can use them as contact wheels if needed!