Sam Young

Propane tank forge

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone I started this a couple months ago and have been working with it on and off since then and coming to a close

i started out with a 40lb propane tank, cut one end open with a cut off wheel, then plasma cut a square opening on each end of the tank. And cut out 2 round holes for the burners.

next I made a frame from angle iron to hold 2 large hard fire bricks. Cut 2 pieces of tubing, drilled and tapped 4   1/4-20 holes to hold the burners in place.

i have lined the inside with Kaowool and tacked welder screws to hold the wool in place as I formed it to the inside of the tank.

i will be using high temp cement (2700 degree) to put over top of the wool. Understanding that there is quite a time for curing this will have to be a patient waiting game for me. I went this route because of the price difference from using a glaze and/or satanite. From reading other members posts, I will try the light bulb technique to help curing.

Please give me some input on this, at the moment I still have time for changes or improvements, cementing will follow soon.

thanks everyone 

B995EBAB-40A5-456F-AAA8-A2AFE034693A.jpeg

70F5DBA7-DF07-4344-A895-D2A3B251AFDB.jpeg

8CD18A8E-3272-46DC-A98E-9099C1BB9A0F.jpeg

76538B65-2EB6-4CF6-9F68-011CA98184DD.jpeg

9D6D5E46-23EF-444D-830E-A7542C6F9213.jpeg

18BB4DF8-B7B8-467D-831F-EBDF61F00AA1.jpeg

7686326B-805E-4495-95E9-6C40BE5AAE03.jpeg

2BB727C5-618F-47FA-9379-A8E6DBF659A1.jpeg

B116D4CF-75B9-4787-90EB-8633C9825281.jpeg

Edited by Sam Young

I get my materials from Wayne coe. He has some very good products at reasonable prices. I would use his reflective coating for the protecting of your forge liner.

http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com%2FForge_Supplies.html#3002

On 3/14/2018 at 9:06 AM, GBrackett said:

I get my materials from Wayne coe. He has some very good products at reasonable prices. I would use his reflective coating for the protecting of your forge liner.

http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com%2FForge_Supplies.html#3002

Thank you,  did you line your forge with his coating?   How did it turn out?

I ordered from wayne just a couple weeks ago and everything arrived quick and packaged well. I ordered the kast-o-lite and it worked just fine.

He prefers email to contact him and he responds quickly.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I ordered from wayne just a couple weeks ago and everything arrived quick and packaged well. I ordered the kast-o-lite and it worked just fine.

Good deal. Thank you

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sam Young said:

Thank you,  did you line your forge with his coating?   How did it turn out?

All of Wayne's products are good. The group of us that buys together have used it, and like it. I've only used it in the floor of my forge. I really like his materials. He will help you select what you need. Just contact him when you have any questions. 

Man I guessed I missed out, I bought all my materials before I new about Waynes products. :( Also I used satanite to line my kaowool and I cured it with a hair dryer, and I covered the floor of the forge with castable cement. I bought all that from Hightemptools.com.

37 minutes ago, GBrackett said:

All of Wayne's products are good. The group of us that buys together have used it, and like it. I've only used it in the floor of my forge. I really like his materials. He will help you select what you need. Just contact him when you have any questions. 

Awesome that’s good to hear!!   Thank u for the reply 

Sam, awesome work on that forge! Looks incredible. I also used Wayne Coe. Highly recommend his expertise and products. I used his cement and IR. Really happy with the performance. Rigidize that blanket before going to the cement. Used fumed silica and put food coloring in it so you can see where you spray it. Post updated pics when you are done and if WIP are available, shoot those over too

7 hours ago, DavidF said:

Sam, awesome work on that forge! Looks incredible. I also used Wayne Coe. Highly recommend his expertise and products. I used his cement and IR. Really happy with the performance. Rigidize that blanket before going to the cement. Used fumed silica and put food coloring in it so you can see where you spray it. Post updated pics when you are done and if WIP are available, shoot those over too

Thank ya thank ya.  I think I might shoot him a email this weekend with some questions.   I’m glad to hear that multiple members have used his products, and have had good results.    When u say “fumed silica” what is this?    I’ve seen ppl use the food color method on YouTube, but I can’t remember what the concoction was.    And WIP? 

Another cool thing about ordering through Wayne is he will make sure you get the most out of shipping. If he can fit something else in a box without additional shipping cost he will let you know. 

Posted (edited)

WIP is short for "work in progress". Its just keepimg us updated with pictures as the work progresses.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Just now, Jeremy Blohm said:

WIP is short for "work in progress"

Awesome. That’s definitely good to hear that he try’s his best to fit everything in one box     WIP- got it. Thanks guys!!

• Like 1

Fumed silica is the rigidizer for your your blanket. Search for fumed silica on Amazon. Mix it with water and food coloring in a spray bottle. Spray onto your blanket. Let it dry a bit and then You will need to fire it to make it set. The blanket will be rigidized and then you can put your cement over it and then your IR.

Ok cool deal. Thank you 

Hey everyone giving a quick update, after talking with Wayne Coe and discussing some problem areas and improvements I need to make, my forge will have to be put on the back burner for now, I need to get some more materials to finish off the project. Plistix, Kast o lite and other items, I will give an update when I get to the next stage.

thanks for the help and input at this time!!