Gary Mulkey

New Project-Tudor Dagger

I debated on waiting until  I had a finished knife to post anything but there seems to be a fair amount of interest in how I get there so I'll show you the start for my latest.  I'm working on an English or Tudor style dagger.  This won't be an exact reproduction of anything but rather will have much of myself in it with a Tudor flair.  I thought what is more Tudor than roses so I designed a stylized rosebud into the quillons of the guard.  I made this guard from one piece of 5/8" round 416 and two pieces of 1/2" round.  (The main guard was forged to shape after I turned the ends on a  lathe.)  The two rose buds are turned from one solid piece of 416.  Once I'm done finishing them, they will be hard soldered together and the quillons bend forward.  I'm still in the design stage for the remainder of  the hilt so as I ruminate on it,  I'll start on the Damascus for the blade next.  I have come up with a new variation of a "W" mosaic designed especially for a dagger blade.  Let's hope that it turns out.:)

IMG_7972_opt

IMG_7966_opt

IMG_7968_opt

• Like 3

Beautiful looking guard Gary, can't wait to see the progress.

• Like 1

I managed to get three welds done on the mosaic billet for the blade on this dagger today as well as the getting the pommel roughed out.  There's still a good bit of symmetry correction to be done on the filework on the end of the pommel but this should give you an idea of where I'm going with it.

IMG_7987_opt

IMG_8002_opt

• Like 1

I got the last of the initial welding done on the mosaic for the dagger.  I didn't get any pics of the beginning of it.  Here is the last "W" cut & stack.  (The arrows are for orientation.)

IMG_8026_optIMG_8029_opt

IMG_8035_opt

Here's my first look at the pattern.  Some of the layers didn't weld all the way to the edge but that won't matter as that will all grind off later.  Since this is going to be a dagger style blade, once I have the tiles cut & welded I'll probably cut a bird's mouth out of the end and re-weld so that the pattern follows each cutting edge out to the tip.

IMG_8047_opt

• Like 1

Looking awesome as always!!!

I thought that some of you might enjoy seeing how my mind works so here are the late night doodles that I did while drawing the inspiration for this dagger.  They're very rough & crude but this is how I started on the design for this knife.  (Some of these were for the guard on my previous knife.)  The lower right hand sketch is pretty  close to the orientation for the "W" cut & stack that I used for this Damascus pattern.

Often I find my inspiration late at night this way with nothing but a crude sketch. :)

IMG_7955_opt 800mb

• Thanks 1

After spending the last two days and all of this morning today doing home repairs,  it felt good to relax and get in some "shop time" this afternoon.  I've got to say that I sure like my 400 lb Trenton.  It moves the steel so much better than my old 144 lb Hay-Budden.

IMG_8073_opt

IMG_8081_opt

I'll try to get this one ground and a quick etch done tomorrow before H/T so you can see the pattern in the blade.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

I got the blade rough ground & a quick etch for my first real look at the pattern:

IMG_8122_opt

Ah there she is. That pattern reminds me of something... Almost like fibres parting from the centre of the blade. 

1 hour ago, Charles du Preez said:

Ah there she is. That pattern reminds me of something... Almost like fibres parting from the centre of the blade. 

The more that I look at it, the more the pattern reminds me of waves in the ocean.

Very nice pattern.  Makes me think of a fire above a bed of coals.  Be interesting to see when finished.  Are you going to do anything special with the handle like flutes or something?

Doug

3 minutes ago, Doug Lester said:

Are you going to do anything special with the handle like flutes or something?

Doug

I've been debating on just that.  I may make that decision after I have the handle roughed out and see how it looks.

After a half/day working on home repairs I got a little time in the shop to do some handle work.  I got the three pieces of the guard silver soldered and the guard bent to shape.  I built a  front spacer for the handle and roughed out the blackwood.  I'm still undecided as to whether or not to add some flutes & wire inlay to the blackwood handle.  The Damascus pattern in the blade is pretty busy.  I don't want to detract from it.  I may just leave the blackwood smooth & polished so the focus of the knife goes to the blade.

IMG_8155_opt

Very nice Gary! You make things that aren't easy, look like child's play!!

Another homer, you gots the touch man....:D

Thanks, gentlemen.  I'll try to post a photo of the completed knife when I get there.

I got to  the first dry fit-up.  It still needs some minor "spit & polish" but I have it pretty close.

IMG_8178_opt

IMG_8172_opt

• Like 1