Otzi style

. 1084/hickory

Otzi inspiredDSC07635.jpg

DSC07642.jpg

DSC07643.jpg

DSC07639.jpg

Edited by Frank Barnes
  • Like 2

I like!  An Otzi knife is on my list of things to do sometime....

Oh, Otzi!  That makes sense, I was looking at it thinking "who or what the heck is Otiz?"  Want me to edit the title?

That's cool, the knife in it's simplest, primal form.

• Like 1

Nice little knife there. It's been so long since I read the book, I cannot remember if his knife was stone or copper. I seem to remember that he had a copper hand axe. (That really threw our history timeline out the window.)

Stone knife, copper axe.  The axe just upset the timeline by a couple hundred years for that area, not that huge a deal.  It's the stone arrowhead under his shoulderblade that the initial CT scans missed that bothered me.  They should have caught that the first time.  Far as I know he's still in the freezer, no telling what else they'll eventually find.

38 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Far as I know he's still in the freezer, no telling what else they'll eventually find.

Unless the "Curse" gets them first...........I thought his tatoos were really intriguing. Especially the similarity they had to other tat finds on people from as far away as Siberia (?)

Anyway, cool knife Frank. How did you put it together? Slotted to accept a tang and then bind with rawhide? Any type of glue used?

I seem to recall a very cool woven sheath that went with the knife... Any chance you will be making a similar sheath?

Thank You,  The knife is a hidden tang and I used epoxy to hold it. The handle is part of a old hammer handle I drilled a 1/8 pilot hole and burned the tang in. I did not make a sheath for it before I sold it but I did make another knife kind of like it.

DSC07863.jpg

DSC07867.jpg

DSC07872.jpg

• Like 2

Nicely done! I remember when I first read about Otzi's equipment being kind of awestruck by the primal nature of this little stone knife with the blood of his enemies still on it. I wish we could hear the story of his last days-- and I'm a bit surprised that nobody's made a movie out of it.

A friend of mine made an Otzi-style sheath for his Mora knife out of... I want to say it was phragmites stems? Some kind of long grassy, reedy thing. But yeah, it was a surprisingly effective sheath. It had really excellent retention because of the stretchiness of the weave, and good drainage. Pretty sure he's been using it for a couple of years now.

• Like 1

Both knives are very cool Frank. I'm digging the tribal rune type decorations.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 12:49 PM, Alan Longmire said:

....Far as I know he's still in the freezer, no telling what else they'll eventually find.

Mick Jagger's phone # ?